1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to get a COLT concealed carry handgun (for back-up or second gun)
which is better, a government 380 ;
a mustang or a mustang plus 2. (my preference will be a stainless)

How do a Colt Mustang preform with a Colt Pony? or which is better?

[This message has been edited by romram (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
I have a Government .380 "full sized." It is a great little shooter, much better than a Mustang. But it is snug in my pants pocket. I think it would be better with a little holster, IWB or paddle. I will be shopping for one. If you plan pocket carry - I'd still want a pocket holster for a SA auto - the Mustang is probably the way to go. I see no sense in the Plus 2. A CCO .380 would be a better gun... if they had made one or if you could assemble one.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I carry a 380 pony pocketlite. It has been 100% reliable @ 500+ rounds. It is the DAO version. good luck!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The mustang is SA, the pony is DAO. The mustang has a thumb safety, the pony has none. Colt's 1903 Model M, as well as 1908 in .380, and the 1911s have a thumb and grip safety. If not carried in a holster, I would not go with the mustang because of the potential for the thumb safety to be disengaged and the much lighter SA trigger depressed by accident. I have a pony and feel fine with the VERY HEAVY DAO trigger being safe. If you plan to carry in the holster, I would go with the mustang as the lighter SA trigger is much better for getting off quick and accurate shots.

I have found my pony, as have two others that I know that have ponies, to have relatively light primer strikes and so some ammo with harder primers has been problematic like S&B. With double strike capability, this is not a problem for practice. Hydrashok ammo does not appear affected.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I almost bought the Pony, but the trigger pull was way up there. Exponentially gets harder as you pull it. I didn't go with it. I'll just stick with my Govt. .380 If your interested, I might know someone with a Pony that is almost new for about $400 + S&H.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i bought the gov. 380 s/s.
small enought to carry with dress clothes in a waist band holster, larger enough to get someone's attention, if need be. only alteration will be some type of 'night' sights for low light (parking garages, etc.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I first bought a steel Mustang and it "felt" too heavy in some slacks I wore. Found a LNIB Mustang Pocketlite and the 4oz difference helped quite a bit. I did have SM&A tune it up w/ a Pocket Carry Package (plus an extra or two). I currently have ~900 round through it and it has been flawless.

BTW - I carry cocked & locked in a pocket holster and an Alessi ankle rig (never have had the safety slip off).

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.