1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to get a COLT concealed carry handgun (for back-up or second gun)
which is better, a government 380 ;
a mustang or a mustang plus 2. (my preference will be a stainless)

How do a Colt Mustang preform with a Colt Pony? or which is better?

[This message has been edited by romram (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
I have a Government .380 "full sized." It is a great little shooter, much better than a Mustang. But it is snug in my pants pocket. I think it would be better with a little holster, IWB or paddle. I will be shopping for one. If you plan pocket carry - I'd still want a pocket holster for a SA auto - the Mustang is probably the way to go. I see no sense in the Plus 2. A CCO .380 would be a better gun... if they had made one or if you could assemble one.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I carry a 380 pony pocketlite. It has been 100% reliable @ 500+ rounds. It is the DAO version. good luck!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The mustang is SA, the pony is DAO. The mustang has a thumb safety, the pony has none. Colt's 1903 Model M, as well as 1908 in .380, and the 1911s have a thumb and grip safety. If not carried in a holster, I would not go with the mustang because of the potential for the thumb safety to be disengaged and the much lighter SA trigger depressed by accident. I have a pony and feel fine with the VERY HEAVY DAO trigger being safe. If you plan to carry in the holster, I would go with the mustang as the lighter SA trigger is much better for getting off quick and accurate shots.

I have found my pony, as have two others that I know that have ponies, to have relatively light primer strikes and so some ammo with harder primers has been problematic like S&B. With double strike capability, this is not a problem for practice. Hydrashok ammo does not appear affected.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
They are all great little guns. About the only decision to make is whether you want the standard SA or the DAO Pony. In my area they are getting a little scarce to find.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I almost bought the Pony, but the trigger pull was way up there. Exponentially gets harder as you pull it. I didn't go with it. I'll just stick with my Govt. .380 If your interested, I might know someone with a Pony that is almost new for about $400 + S&H.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i bought the gov. 380 s/s.
small enought to carry with dress clothes in a waist band holster, larger enough to get someone's attention, if need be. only alteration will be some type of 'night' sights for low light (parking garages, etc.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I first bought a steel Mustang and it "felt" too heavy in some slacks I wore. Found a LNIB Mustang Pocketlite and the 4oz difference helped quite a bit. I did have SM&A tune it up w/ a Pocket Carry Package (plus an extra or two). I currently have ~900 round through it and it has been flawless.

BTW - I carry cocked & locked in a pocket holster and an Alessi ankle rig (never have had the safety slip off).

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts