1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a commander length 1911 (a Sig RCS) & have been using a Galco F919WCD. This holster is OK but not the most comfortable in the world (especially when I carry with the gun directly against my skin (t-shirt over the gun to fully conceal it.

I am thinking about a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Milt Sparks VM2. They both seem to have a great reputation. I am leaning towards the Milt Sparks as looking at the Crossbreed, it looks pretty big.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I carry a commander length 1911 (a Sig RCS) & have been using a Galco F919WCD. This holster is OK but not the most comfortable in the world (especially when I carry with the gun directly against my skin (t-shirt over the gun to fully conceal it.

I am thinking about a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Milt Sparks VM2. They both seem to have a great reputation. I am leaning towards the Milt Sparks as looking at the Crossbreed, it looks pretty big.

Anyone have experience with either of these?
I'm fairly familiar with the Galco line-up, but I'm not familiar with that coding. Doesn't Galco normally name their holsters? Knowing what holster you have may help us with a recommendation.

http://www.galcogunleather.com

There are lots of guys with VM II or Crossbreed SuperTuck's on the forum. Sparks has a new model, the Nexus, that has become fairly popular with the forum members.

http://www.miltsparks.com

If you haven't seen it, our "Official IWB Holster Picture Thread" is a good place to look for ideas.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196181

Whatever you order, make sure you specify you have a SIG. They have a non-standard slide shape and may not fit a holster designed for a Colt Commander or other Commander length pistol with a more tradition slide shape.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The crossbreed looks big, but that is the way of the leather/kydex hybrids. All that leather is spreading the weight around. White Hat Holsters are similar, and you can by Just the kydex piece for your other guns. They are good. I also have a VMII on order, so maybe next year I can give a direct comparison. The wait for Milt Sparks is 3 to 4 months

·
Registered
719 Posts
For IWB carry leather is far more comfortable IMHO. A high slide guard is a must have for IWB carry as well, your specific Galco model would be miserable.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have not had either of those holsters, but I have had a few different hybrid holsters, including ones, IMHO, that are better than Crossbreed for me (Full kydex coverage of the slide, thicker leather backing, etc) & I had a Brommeland Max Con V (A little thinner than the VM II, but highly regarded).

Hybrids are thinner, while still allowing to to reholster with one hand, but they are wide. The VM II & similar holsters are not quite as thin, but perhaps a little more comfortable. Here's what I ended up getting...Nelson Holsters I got the Phoenix model, but his new XCalibur is an improvement, IMHO. That's not to say that it's the best, but given the shorter wait times, cost, & comfort, I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've had 4 or 5 Milt Sparks VMII. For me they are all day comfortable with a 1911. The quality of the work is just first rate as well. I love the look of the brown holster, but I can't stand a brown belt...:scratch: So I'm sticking to the black holsters now with the shark trim. The only down side to the VMII is the wait if you order from Milt Sparks (unless you happen to catch one for sale here, but you normally can't wait long to contact the seller cause they go fast!) but the wait is worth it, I should have my Sept order coming sometime in the next 30 day or so...:rock:

·
Super Moderator
13,570 Posts
Do a search for the Milt Sparks Nexus. I can't say enough great things about this holster. I carry my Colt Lightweight Commander in this rig. It is ultra comfortable and I've carried the gun 16 hours in it with no discomfort.

Picture above was not of the Colt, it's a Harrison custom Caspian 9mm titanium.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts