1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I am a new member and looking forward to participating in what appears to be an excellent forum. My first question concerns concealed carry while wearing a business suit.

I wear a suit every day to work, usually sans jacket as that is the custom in the office. Everywhere else, I carry my Kimer Pro CDP in a SmartCarry or Defender, or IWB with an untucked shirt. But the Kimber prints on the front of my pants in the SmartCarry when I wear suits. When I use the Defender, I get better results as long as I keep the Kimber at my 3oclock position, and dont allow it to rotate towards 2oclock, where it would begin printing on the front of my shirt.

I was thinking about using a shoulder rig like the DeepConcealment, or similar.

Does anyone else carry while wearing a suit sans jacket? What type of holster to you use?

·
Super Moderator
13,725 Posts
Smith & Wesson J frame 642 or 38 in either pants pocket (Safariland #25 pocket holster, or Uncle Mike's pocket holster).

·
Registered
71 Posts
You probably need a tailor.

Most suit materials are rather thin.Most firearms will 'print' because of this.Find a friendly tailor that will work with you and your guns and holsters. He can add padding,or make other changes as necessary...Besides,what looks better than a custom-fitted suit?The clothes make the man...

·
Vendor
1,643 Posts
OneShotStop said:
Hello to all, I am a new member and looking forward to participating in what appears to be an excellent forum. My first question concerns concealed carry while wearing a business suit.

I wear a suit every day to work, usually sans jacket as that is the custom in the office. Everywhere else, I carry my Kimer Pro CDP in a SmartCarry or Defender, or IWB with an untucked shirt. But the Kimber prints on the front of my pants in the SmartCarry when I wear suits. When I use the Defender, I get better results as long as I keep the Kimber at my 3oclock position, and dont allow it to rotate towards 2oclock, where it would begin printing on the front of my shirt.

I was thinking about using a shoulder rig like the DeepConcealment, or similar.

Does anyone else carry while wearing a suit sans jacket? What type of holster to you use?
You can conceal a Kahr P9 or P40 easily with a tuckable holster under your dress shirt. A compact 1911 will work for many. I can discuss at length due to personal experience.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Business suit carry

If you have a 3-piece suit you can carry most anything you want in a good IWB holster if you leave the vest on. I don't normally wear a suit, but I regularly wear a vest to cover my full-size 1911 which I carry in a Mitch Rosen ARG.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Change jobs.

Leave it to Husker to find a simple solution. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too normally carry a Kimber compact, but for dress up times I'll carry my S&W 442 in a Kramer pocket holster, never been made and I feel very safe. Happiness really is a warm gun :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I wear a suit during the week I have been very happy with my Alessi shoulder rig. When you get your suit fitted wear your holsters. I dont take my jacket off when Im carrying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ricky T

I just got a 642 S & W yesterday. Have not shot it yet. I was influenced by our forum's coments on this light weight. This one I am going to carry. I have a Wilsom CQB Compact bed side, Ed brown Kobra Compact in the Tahoe and nothing in my pocket.
Are you familuar with a Milt Sparks PCH-R pocket holster ?
Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
I carry a Smith model 60 in a Mika pocket holster, and a Glock 27 in a Kramer Confidant shirt holster (a lot slower to draw from than a pocket holster, but handier than a gun in the car).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had been looking for a nice "casual" jacket for awhile - with the idea that if I found one nice looking I could perhaps use a shoulder holster or make some other accomodation than pants-pocket or tuckable holster. I recently found the jacket below. It's pretty rugged cotton, but still looks nice with khakis or dungarees, or even dress pants. The pockets in this one allow some possibilities that don't exist in a dress jacket or blazer. I can carry a j-frame in the lower outer (but inside zip-opening) pocket easily & have 2 layers of cloth prevent printing - even without the thin pocket holster that I normally have to use to hide printing. I'm still exploring the other pockets. The large inner, lower pockets can swallow a Commander, but it better be a light-weight. The inner, upper pockets can house a Glock or Walther turned backward (so that the draw is made by pulling the jacket wide with the off hand to present the gun). (If the gun is put into the normal "shoulder holster" direction, the butt isn't reliably hidden.) I liked the blue one so much, I ordered another in khaki.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Pretty neat jacket

Where'd you find it? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kahr PM9 in Alessi Roughout Pocket Holster

I wear a suit for work, but I tend to keep the jacket on, so concealability is not a problem. I carry a Wilson CQB Compact in a Tucker HF1 belt slide holster, and no one, except my co-workers, who are also packing pistols, knows it is there.
I also occasionally carry a Glock 23 in a Comptac CTAC. It is tuckable, but the pistol prints noticably under my shirt. If I were less stout, maybe it would conceal better.
Nonetheless, when I do not want to take the slightest chance of anyone noticiing that I am carrying and need immediate access to my firearm, I carry a Kahr PM9 in an Alessi Roughout pocket holster. It is the same weight as a S&W 642 and only 2 or 3 ounces heavier than a S&W 340 (Scandium). Whether 9mm or .38 is a better round could be debated forever, but I personally shoot the PM9 better than I shoot a snubbie.
Good luck.
proloader

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike Allen; RE: Sparks pocket holster

Mike,
I had a Sparks pocket holster when I used to carry a S&W 340PD. It is a great holster, with a wire frame that allows the holster to be adjusted somewhat.
However, I thought that the holster was a little wide. It fit great in jeans, but I found it too wide for some dress and casual pants.
The Alessi Roughout is a nice pocket holster.
proloader

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi folks,

here's my .02.

When I am casual on weekends, I carry a Commander 1911 / Milt Sparks 55BN, with shirt out ONLY.

During the week, when I am wearing a business suit and might have to take off my jacket, I do a Kahr P9 / Galco USA IWB and it allows me to tuck my dress shirt in over the belt clip, albeit somewhat a pain in the butt. But it seems that on one can notice the butt of the gun, and that's good. larry c.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It seems to me that an ankle holster would be just the ticket for a suit without a jacket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Konza said:
It seems to me that an ankle holster would be just the ticket for a suit without a jacket.
Good idea.

I work carry a Keltec P32....works great with my suits for two years. Belt clip works great for IWB carry and flab/shirt bulge covers quite nicely. Can easily be mistaken for a folder. Not a big bang...but better than not carrying because of suit CCW restriction.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts