1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I propose a new law that would allow Retired Military ID cards to also serve as National Permits for concealed carry.

·
Administrator
73,019 Posts
Personally I'd prefer a new law that states the Constitution actually means what it says.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree. But in lieu of that

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with constitutional carry; but, it is problematic. Does someone who is proven to be a violent personality, adjudicated with a violent or suicidal personality, a violent felon, etc be allowed to carry and own firearms?

I don't think so. I think what should be done is enforce the laws on the books that prohibit these people from having firearms. Pass a national carry permit good in all 50 states, unrestricted where they can carry legally. No more restricted zones/areas/times/places/etc.

Then, there just might be a chance that a CHL holder is in place when the crap hits the fan and he/she may be able to stop it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
While I rarely ever go anywhere, I would like to have my Va. C.C. work in every state and city in the country, It would be nice to know if I did have to go anywhere I could take a weapon. And while were at it, I think it's about time to allow switchblades in Va. we can own them but just can't carry them, stupid laws.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I propose everyone be able to CC without a permit of any kind. No permit required in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Vermont and Wyoming. Nothing going on there out of the ordinary. I also propose a 10 year mandatory sentence for any crime (other than a misdemeanor) committed with a firearm. Then when you get out you can have your gun back. If you want to do another 10 years just commit another crime with it.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
Extremely difficult politically, even if possible, it would suck up all political capital, favors, etc. in Congress (would have to surmount a Presidential veto) ... also, and worse, it draws a line of stark separation, whereby all other law-abiding citizens are second class individuals, not entitled to equal rights. Is there any evidence that existing law-abiding private citizens, who hold or would qualify for state chl, are so much less trustworthy than ex-military?

Yes, I can understand how this might sound like a great idea to some members of the benefiting community. I salute our servicepersons and support everything related to honoring them and treating them right (VA, etc.), but this idea is the wrong way to do it. What about everyone else and "The Right of The People ..." Are "The People" no longer "The People"?

I say bad idea.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Military ID for national carry? The vast majority of Navy and Air Force haven't touched a weapon since basic training. Many jobs in the Army only require annual training. Virtually none is done with a handgun in any branch. What qualifies someone for carte blanche carry with those stats? I see the OP qualified as a Marksman with the .38 special. How long ago was that?

·
Registered
874 Posts
How about the default is that everyone has the right to possess and carry the best readily available commercial defensive technology they can procure, short of weapons of mass destruction or indiscriminate application, wherever they are in the USA. That's easy.

The exception to this is anyone who meets the criteria already in place which disbars possession - violent felonies or misdemeanors, drug/alcohol abuse, diagnosed and relevant mental problems, etc...

You can print out and laminate the text of 2nd Amendment if you feel the need to carry around something official.

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
We have a whole range of ideas above ^.

I would still like to see that states still maintain control of CCW licenses, but I would like to see that every state recognize a visiting citizen from another state with a CCW license as valid, regardless if that state doesn't issue or has a may issue CCW license policy. Make the CCW license just like a driver's license... recognized in every state. That would be the most fair and eliminated the horror stories of people getting busted in places like NJ or NY when just passing through or visiting. We need to be able to travel freely in the contiguous 48 states without fearing an arrest.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Great idea! We have to start somewhere. Use the same approach as the antis, just add a little at a time.
If you start with "everybody should be allowed", you'll get nowhere.

·
Registered
818 Posts
On the face of it, a National CCW sounds good.....but....

Look at nearly everything the feds get involved with and how it ends up getting worse and abused by power wielding politicians.

...education
...health insurance
...environmental oversight
...transportation regulations
...immigration enforcement (or lack of)

No thanks, I think it's best to leave the control in the hands of states where the people have more control over the outcome. May not be a perfect system, but its better than having the power in the hands of perhaps an Executive Order somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What makes retired military qualified for a Concealed Carry Permit? What experience is common to all retired military that is the qualifier? Sorry, I can't see any sense in this proposal.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Hmm...No. Why only retired military? You mean that Air Force guy who sat at a desk for 20 years, or worked as a mechanic (though nothing at all wrong with that), is more qualified to carry than say an 11B, 0311, or 18 Series who did 4 - 6 years with multiple combat tours actually carrying and using a firearm on a daily basis in harm's way?

First, how about make it open/concealed carry for all if you are a US Citizen. Period. No matter where you are.

If you are going to make it "military" service related, then make it open to all who have served, regardless of the amount of time or job, that had an Honorable Discharge.

I do get upset when I see retired or off-duty law enforcement officers being able to carry in places like Chicago. But, I, who carried a firearm into harm's way for this country, cannot. I do not like the double standard.

Sounds to me like VT, NH, AZ have the right idea.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Posts 12 and 14 are on the money. As long as dsk's post.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Personally I'd prefer a new law that states the Constitution actually means what it says.
Same here. Probably between 80-90% of retired, active duty, etc service members have never fam-fired, qualified, carried, etc a sidearm while on duty.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
And when the Democrats regain control of Congress and ban national carry (theoretically)? :rolleyes:

Bad idea, people.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I like the way it is here in Kansas.

You're a Law Abiding Kansas Citizen?

You have a Carry Permit.

It's called the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment.

Sooner or later, it will be remembered that it is "We The People" not "Them The Government".

1 - 20 of 58 Posts