1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have any experience with this model?
Seems to be a cross between a Lightweight Officer's Model
and Commander. Blued alloy frame with SS Commander slide,
with Novak-type sights. I came across it in a '98 Colt catalog.

Looks like it would be a good carry piece. I don't get to gun shows anymore so I'm out of the loop on what's floating around out there. I've never seen anything on the forums about this pistol either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Night Rider said:
Seems to be a cross between a Lightweight Officer's Model
and Commander. Blued alloy frame with SS Commander slide,
with Novak-type sights. I came across it in a '98 Colt catalog.

Looks like it would be a good carry piece. I don't get to gun shows anymore so I'm out of the loop on what's floating around out there. I've never seen anything on the forums about this pistol either.
I have the XS model of the CCO and it is a great piece. It took me three years and earlier this year I was lucky enough to find a NIB example. Mine is the most accurate out of the box 1911 I have ever owned. I found mine on Guns America. They pop up every so often.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a CCO about five years ago. Damn fine pistol. I sold it during a severe spell of stupidity and financial embarressment. The guy who bought it wouldn`t part with it now. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Does it look like this?

Mine does not say CCO on it it just says Combat Commander Model/

Yes it is a great carry piece. At least for me, it just disappears.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
A while ago I was entertaining building my version of the ultimate carry .45. I settled on using a TI or AL short frame Caspian and a 4.25" slide instead of the "compact" 4". I concluded that the Aluminum made more sense than a Titanium because of the additional weight savings. Throw in a plastic MSH for even greater weight savings then some misc bells and whistles and I found I had speced out a Colt CCO XS without the rampaging pony, the warranty, or the cache.

Right about the time I discovered the above I found a NIB Colt XS CCO at gunsamerica.com. for a reasonable price. This was far less $ than I would have spent building one and it was a Colt.

I grabbed it and it has the best quality of machining of any Colt I ever owned. When I can stand to part with it for a few weeks I will send it to Trigicon to have glass Tritium inserts put into the Novak-like sights it came from the factory with.

It feeds ANYTHING and is very shootable but weighs only 25 oz.

I have many small Glocks and a Kahr P9 but this ultra reliable .45 beats them all. And BTW, it is a myth that you should shoot 185s and not 230s out of 4.25". Depending on the ammo, mine looses almost nothing in velocity to a government size.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Night Rider said:
Yup. I've owned two of the two tones and three of the XS CCO models.

Many will disagree with my opinion that the CCO is a superior carry piece to the longer gripped Commander and Govt. sized 1911s.

The two tone is a fine example,but the XS version in my experience, is better fitted and finished.

Here's a pic of the only CCO that I kept. It came with factory tritium inserts in the sights.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Damn Potthawg!!

I wish you would quit showing the picture of that beautiful CCO.
My drool has ruined another keyboard. :D
Let me know when you're ready to get rid of that one.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
JEFF..

Until Colt starts making even better ones it's staying with me. :cool:

Young45,

Both of my two tones came with rubber grips. The XS models came with double diamond checkered reddish wood grips.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The XS guns were IMHO, the best modern pistols produced for the money. I wish I could have hade the foreknowledge and funds to have purchased one of each when they were in production. Thank you Sam for sharing with us. I am glad that your collection of XS guns is complete.

Chuck

·
Registered
122 Posts
GCT00427 said:
The XS guns were IMHO, the best modern pistols produced for the money. I wish I could have hade the foreknowledge and funds to have purchased one of each when they were in production. Thank you Sam for sharing with us. I am glad that your collection of XS guns is complete.

Chuck
My sentiments exactly.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Thanks guys. I agree about the Colt XS pistols. There was a pretty small period of time to buy these. Trust me, it really was like trying to find a needle in the old haystack. It took me three years just to find the XS Gov't. The fact that it was NIB was a real bonus.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 20 of 40 Posts