1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experience with either a bobtailed frame or a compact frame like on the kimber compact stainless. i was just wondering which is easier to conceal.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I don't have experience with the Kimber compact SS, but have a Colt LW Commander bobtailed and love it for concealment-no "printing." I can sit in the truck, ride my motorcycle, etc and not get stuck in the ribs. Going to get a full size Wilson done next...

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I do have both a Kimber Compact and a bobtailed Kimber Pro. Of course, the top ends are identical. I love them both, and find the bobtail frame conceals just as easily as the compact, plus it provides a full grip and an extra round. The smaller frame of the compact is uncomfortable for some guys, but I've gotten used to it. Either way, you're good to go.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have no experience with a bobtail but have a Compact as my primary carry. It conceals extremely well, and is a tack driver.

I'm a big guy with big hands and the shortened Compact grip doesn't bother me at all.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The corner of the bobtail is rounder than the corner of the OACP frame. Minute difference, but both literally conceal the same. The Ulta Carry, though, is about 10 onces lighter. Nicer for summer carry.

Here's a old photo of both types. Note the prominent corner at the mainspring housing pin on the Ultra compared to the smooth part of the bobtail. Really very little difference. Full frame will hold 8+1.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have an Ultra Carry II and 3 Bobtails and I find that for IWB, the Bobtails are, hands down, easier to conceal. On the other hand, I carry the UC II in my pocket about 98% of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts