1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a rural area but work in a rather populated area, and yuppies have infested it over the last 10 years, im going to be purchasing a 1991a1 in the next 6 months
, and would like to cary it for daily protection, im looking for something discreet
. im rather partial to the idea of a sholder holser, but im open to all ideas.

I've already Applied for my carry permit, it's REALY easy to get in NH. (do you have a criminal record? No, here it is)

Sorry about the spelling, im realy bad about it...

------------------
Bart Lanzillotti

·
Registered
293 Posts
bartlanz, i carry a fullsize colt 1991A1 in either a galco summer "inside the waistband holster, or a "chest holster" the galco is good, you can leave your shirt untuck to cover it, and if you wear a jacket its even better.

the "chest" holster is basically a belly band holster that is made to ride around your chest. the gun sits under your arm and hides it better. i wear the chest holster when i need to tuck in a shirt. its also good for that time when "you gotta go to the bathroom" because there is nothing attched to the pants. everything is under the shirt.

depending on your body frame will depend on how you will want to carry it so you can get to it if you need it. but concealing a fullsize 1911 can be done, and is.

hope this helps

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bartlanz, keep in mind "accessibility." A handgun ain't like a spare tire that you can pull over to the side of the road, pop the trunk, unscrew the hold-down and take it out at your leisure. If you ever need to fire your gun in self-defense most likely you will need it NOW!! So I carry my Colt in a Blade Tech strong side belt holster. That requires a covering garmet, usually a sport jacket or a long vest. The IWB is the other way to go, though not as fast, IMHO. Face it, if you're committed to a 1911 all the time, you've got to dress for it. Otherwise get a hammerless .38 snub and carry it in your right front trouser pcoket.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I carry in a Wild Bill's IWB or belt slide. I am currently partial to the Southern Comfort that he makes. Great leather, though it takes a while to get it done. Check out their website, they run specials all the time.
www.wildbillsconcealment.com

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I just purchased a new lightweight Wilson sharkskin IWB holster and really like it. Works well for fullsize or compact 1911's.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in southern Arizona. I carry year around. I use full frame 1911's. I have tried all types of carry methods and holster combinations. What I have learned in all my exploration is that where I started is where I always needed to be. Strong side. Behind the hip //little pocket just under the kidney//. Worn on a gun belt with two extra mags off side.

I use a inside the waist band holster style. No thumb break. The nice thing about the design is it can be used outside the waist band against clothing if they are tight. Some people do not like wearing pants that are two sizes larger just for the gun.

The hardest part of the 1911 to hide is the grip. This style is better,IMHO, in hidding the gun by pressing it against the body. Yet it slower to draw as APC suggested.

Having said all the above if you do not like a canted holster I say the straight drop slide is my second best choise. Teal Blue.

[This message has been edited by Teal Blue (edited 10-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Teal Blue (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
If you still want to go with a shoulder holster, I can strongly recommend the Glaco Miami Classic. I decided to wear mine tonight and they are comfortable. Do not by anything that is not all leather! As far as carry guns go, check out a Colt Defender, hard to beat in all catagories.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx guys, ive beein looking around, as far as i can tell wild bills seems to be the most popular around, and i dont mind wearing a vest or coat, so i will start lookin at iwb's also, if any one else has any sugestions please post...

ill be carying a commander hopefully a xs if i can find one, if not it'll be an xse (modded)

·
Registered
55 Posts
http://www.action-direct.com/defender.htm
Not the fastest in the world but totally conceals a full size Colt Double Eagle with spare mag under a dark colored tucked in polo shirt.
Check it out. I wouldn't have beleived it works as well as it does.
I've got hundreds of dollars worth of holsters that are currently gathering dust because of this rig.
You'll need to carry stainles steel or some other rust protected pistol as the pistol is pressed tight against the body.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never used an IWB holster, although I've used the rest.

They seem like they would be great for standing and walking, but for those of us who are kinda fat, I would think they would be uncomfortable sitting in a car. Is that so?

·
Registered
13 Posts
What part of NH are you from Bartlanz?

------------------
14 is better than 8

[This message has been edited by Para-Man (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Para-Man:
What part of NH are you from Bartlanz?

Manchester area, u?

------------------
Bart Lanzillotti

[This message has been edited by bartlanz (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Most comfortable and best concealing of a GM IMHO is the Milt Sparks Versa Max. Very nice IWB holster.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts