1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put rubber grips on my PT1911. I have read the posts here, some say the Hogue grips go right on with a bit of stretching. The Hogue website says the grip screws are too big & have to be replaced with the standard Colt screw. The web site also says that the right side of the grip has to be modified to allow for the ambi safety.

What is the deal? Do I need to dremmel the right side of the grip? Do I need colt sized grip screws only OR both colt grip screws & screw bushings?

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put the Hogue Palm Swells on my PT1911 with no modifications needed.... I eventually went to a single left side safety, by choice, but never had an issue with the Hogue Palm Swell grips.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I once had Hogue rubber finger groove grips on my PT 1911. I had to relieve the passenger side grip a bit to clear the safety's flange. No big deal. Took about 5 minutes.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
There are three kinds of hogue 1911 rubber grips: finger groove wrap arounds, Palm swell panels and double diamond panels. The two later styles have an ambi relief but it is not generous enough for the thicker Taurus right side paddle retention leg. It will not be a good thing for your ambi over time unless you relieve it some more. I would imagine you would find the same to be true on the wrap around. The bushings have the same thread for both colt size and Taurus size grip screws. The difference is the size of the head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much. I did not know about the three types. I suppose I'll have to check out new bushings. I don't see how they could be very expensive.

Have a great holiday.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Thank you all very much. I did not know about the three types. I suppose I'll have to check out new bushings. I don't see how they could be very expensive.

Have a great holiday.
Not bushings, just the screws.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did not change the screws on mine. here is mine with a 22 conversion kit on it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not change the screws on mine. here is mine with a 22 conversion kit on it
But how did you get the grips over the bushings? Did you cut the holes larger so that they will fit over the bushings? Or did the grips just fit?

I'm probably reading too much into this . . .

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did not have any more problems with the grips on the taurus than with these same grips on my springfield. I little pulling and pushing was all. It is a range gune only so I was not worried about the thumb safety Randy

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
OP:

Do not be concerned about the bushings unless you want to change to thin grips. Looks like on his grips the screws are no problem either. Just be careful not to over torque your screws which is easy to do on rubber grips.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the wrap arounds on my PT1911. It took a bit of stretching to get them on. As for the thumb safety issue my thumb safety was "adjusted" by a prior owner. No issues on mine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have the Hogue wraparound finger groove grips on two PT 1911s. No relieving holes in the grip or trimming the area under the right side safety. Truly a bolt-on installation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts