1911Forum banner

Confused about TRP, Operators, and TRP-Pros

1685 11
So if you visit the Springfield Armory web site, this is what you will find in their 1911-A1 section:

Tactical Response Pistol:
Armory Kote
Stainless Steel
(Which are essentially the same pistol with different finishes)

Operator:
Loaded MC Full Size Operator (a bi-tone w/light rail)
TRP Light Rail Armory Kote (BULL BARREL w/ light rail)
Micro Compact

Professional Model:
Black Teflon (They advertise this as the FBI's pistol)

OK, so where the confusion sets in: What is it about the name "TRP Light Rail Armory Kote" that implies that it has a BULL BARREL? I haven't seen (or if I have, I'm forgetting) any other SA pistols with a bull barrel.

So I imagine that the bull barrel makes the gun have great accuracy. Any experience with this? Is the accuracy great on this gun? I've never seen one of these pistols in person - is the FLGR replacable (or at least removable WITHOUT a tool? That's a minor obsession of mine ;))

Now this: The bull-barreled TRP is $1600 and the TRP-Pro is $2400. In what ways is the TRP-pro so superior to the bull-barrel TRP? Is it more accurate? More reliable? I note that the trigger pull is lighter on the TRP-Pro...

How do these guns measure up to the Kimber Warriors? Are they worth the extra cost? I know that one can't compare the bull barrel TRP to the warrior, but... is the warrior even so far above Springfield's fullsize "loaded" models that I should rush out and buy one of them (the warriors) instead of looking at something like the TRP-pro or the bull TRP?

Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
The FLGR is replaceable but not removable without a tool, at least I haven't figured out how (that is assuming it hasn't worked it's way loose while you were shooting it.:cool: ).

· Registered
258 Posts
The Professional, with or without the rail (I think both are available) are full custom guns with everything hand-fitted. Nothing in the Pro is MIM IIRC. It is an exact replica of the FBI HRT gun. All of the other guns TRPs, Operators, etc...aren't. The TRP operator is supposedly quite accurate, but it does need a takedown tool (pet peeve of mine as well...sold a Kimber Pro-Carry for that same reason). I'm not sure if a bull barrel is automatically more accurate than a regular barrel but just doesn't require the fitting of the bushing?? Also, the TRP Operator has adjustable sights, which I also don't like on a "fighting" pistol. I would rather get a TRP or if you want rails, the MC Operator. Well, actually I'll take a Pro...right after I win the lottery...:cool:

Howard

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the pro would be nice, but I don't think I could afford that right now.
I dont like toolless take down, but I would like a pistol with adjustable sights. I suppose I'll just leave the adjustable sites bit for a 9mm 1911 when I get one.

What I'm REALLY trying to figure out is if I want to go with a Kimber Warrior or a TRP. I know they are different guns, but about the same price range.

The stainless TRP is sexy though...

· Registered
121 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
Yeah, the pro would be nice, but I don't think I could afford that right now.
I dont like toolless take down, but I would like a pistol with adjustable sights. I suppose I'll just leave the adjustable sites bit for a 9mm 1911 when I get one.

What I'm REALLY trying to figure out is if I want to go with a Kimber Warrior or a TRP. I know they are different guns, but about the same price range.

The stainless TRP is sexy though...
The TRP is $200 - $300 more than the Warrior.

· Banned
1,361 Posts
I have a SS TRP, TRP Operator with Armory Coat and I also have a Lwt Compact....The TRP Operator and Compact both have a Bull Barrel and felt recoil is minimum with teh added weight.

As for being an more accurite than a regular barrel I haven't noticed much difference....They all shoot Minute of BG and that is good for me.

Impact guns has a couple listed.

This one has novak Sights

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397151089.html

Adjustable sights

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397151058.html

Used one

http://www.impactguns.com/store/HGR-NM192529.html

The TRP and TRP Operator work just fine for me but If I had to pay $1600 for a TRP Operator I would be shopping for a TRP Pro instead for that kind of money.

Karsten

· Registered
23 Posts
I don't see that a BB is more accurate. Both of my TRP's, Operator and SS where close to dead-on. I was able to fine tune the Operator's sights easier.
I have used The TRP OP in all of my classes over the past year and it's been fantastic. This weapon really rocks in an Adv Tactics class. The extra weight is helpfull when shooting support side single handed. The adjustable sights are great when having to cycle/chamber or run a clearence one handed. Some of the rear sight edges are a bit sharp yet I have not had any instance of it snaging on a concealment garment, ever. I have not shot the Pro model. Maybe, with another year of practice I might, ...yes maybe; I should start saving up now. :)

Martin

· Registered
345 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
Now this: The bull-barreled TRP is $1600 and the TRP-Pro is $2400. In what ways is the TRP-pro so superior to the bull-barrel TRP? Is it more accurate? More reliable? I note that the trigger pull is lighter on the TRP-Pro...
For that much money - I would get a WC or EB instead.

If anyone who have both TRP vs. WC/EB - can you give us your 2 cents? :biglaugh:

· Registered
1,088 Posts
hkfooey said:
For that much money - I would get a WC or EB instead.

If anyone who have both TRP vs. WC/EB - can you give us your 2 cents? :biglaugh:
I have both the SA Pro and two stainless EB Kobra's. All are very nice, no question. If I could only have one (perish the thought), I would probably go with the SA Pro. Hard to quantify the reason, just my take on it.

I'm actually considering letting go of one of my mint Kobra's to add another SA Pro to the collection.

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
howardw said:
It is an exact replica of the FBI HRT gun.
Wrong.

Just to clarify: The Springfield TRP-Professional (aka Pro) is not a replica of the FBI gun. It is the FBI gun. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.