1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M 1911 A1 US Army, that I got from my father over 20 years ago. All of the parts on the gun (trigger, sight, hammer, MS Housing, etc.) indicate that is a 1944 - 45. However the Serial# is No 395812 (underlined "o"). As far as I can tell this number does not match up with the gun.

The only markings on the gun are "M 1911 A1 US ARMY" on the slide and the serial# (right side above the trigger). No logos or any other marking of any kind.

Can anyone explain the serial#?

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
armory rebuild perhaps? the frame is usually the part that last the longest, so it makes sense for that to be the oldest part on such a pistol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I've read, armory rebuilds are stamp with a logo or ID to identify the gun as a rebuild.

·
Administrator
74,033 Posts
I have a M 1911 A1 US Army, that I got from my father over 20 years ago. All of the parts on the gun (trigger, sight, hammer, MS Housing, etc.) indicate that is a 1944 - 45. However the Serial# is No 395812 (underlined "o"). As far as I can tell this number does not match up with the gun.

The only markings on the gun are "M 1911 A1 US ARMY" on the slide and the serial# (right side above the trigger). No logos or any other marking of any kind.

Can anyone explain the serial#?
You have a 1918 frame with what looks like a WW2-era replacement slide. Such mixmasters are very common. It may have been an arsenal rebuild, a field repair, or somebody's home-brewed project gun. Like Jim said they were not always marked when rebuilt at a military facility. However also note the fact that all the markings on the left side of the slide were ground off, as well as the US Property mark on the frame. The whole thing has also been polished & reblued and replacement grips added. Therefore it is worth more to you as a family heirloom than as a collectible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts