1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new colt gov. last sat.Went to the range today,fired 200 rounds and not one failure, no FTF or FTE no nothing just kept working I must be doing something wrong!used diff. types of mags and ammo, just kept working!I guess I have to live with it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I know what you mean. It's always so disappointing when you get a gun that's totally reliable and shoots well. So what are you going to do with all the spare time and money that we all usually spend to get one working right, or looking the way we want it to. I think I'd sell or trade it off, and try to find some piece of junk to tinker with.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What a mental mess you must be. With all those pent up expectations of repeated failures and then nothing. Must be a Glock in disguise, yep, thats what it is.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
My question is are Glocks a real gun? I have rented and by that experience I would never buy. As the gun fires it gets lighter and less controlable. This was a .45ACP and it was a small version. Accuracy in my hand was awful and I'm a good shot with 1911's, Sig P220, S&W 9mm auto, Ruger 22auto, Colt Trooper, SAA from any manufacturer, Llama .380ACP and any of these I like better than a Glock. Just my opinion, have a nice day Ken Neal.
Rich Miller

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man that just sucks don't it? I know the feeling...go to the range with your new colt excited but hesitant, expecting failures. Put the first mag downrange and "OH MY GOSH! thats a little bitty group down there!" Expectations start to rise...next mag. Another great group. Now the fear of failures grips you. You don't want to keep firing because you just "know" you are gong to start getting failures. Next thing you know the range is about to close your target is one huge hole in the middle and believe it or not there has not been one failure. You drive home with a huge grin on your face and fall asleep to dream of the gun that has no problems.
Welcome to the club of "Colt Lemons"

------------------
"Aim small, miss small"

·
Registered
300 Posts
This really has me in a panic...I've got a new 1991A1 coming this week. I just know it won't be as reliable as my Kimber Classic Custom, Springfield HiCap, or even my Charles Daly.

Are you trying to tell me that I won't have any problems?...Try to ruin my day, will you? It's my panic attack, and I'll play with it, however I want!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Okay, I picked up the new 1991A1 tonight...Boy, was I disappointed. It is one of the new ones with the throated, narrow hood, stainless barrel. It has a very tight slide/frame/barrel, and worst of all the finish inside and out is as good as any 1911 I have ever seen...any!

When all this forcast snow is gone, I'm gonna take it to the range and see how it shoots...Karl H, I see what you mean! So far I can't find anything wrong!

[This message has been edited by Big George (edited 03-06-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm real trouble now! got so upset about trying to get my colt to fail and it will not!I had to buy a new holster CQC/S that Alessi makes, now I have to wait by the mailbox everyday!! until it gets here,darn?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Karl H:
I'm in real trouble now! got so upset about trying to get my colt to fail and it will not!I had to buy a new holster CQC/S that Alessi makes, now I have to wait by the mailbox everyday!! until it gets here,darn?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Make it easy on yourself: By a box of Snap Caps and randomly mix one in every fourth magazine or so. You'll feel better.

Real men Tap-Rack-Bang every couple dozen shots.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's why I hardly shoot my Sig anymore-no fun. They always go bang when you pull the trigger and are super accurate. Boring. I kept hearing everybody saying Colt's quality is lacking or that all 1911 pistols need work done to them right out of the box. It sounded like a challenge, so I go buy a new Colt 1991A1. What happens? Reliable as hell! Not one problem out of it. I'm not even going to customize it (well maybe wood grips). This Colt is PERFECT. Dang!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dammit! Now I'm really hot! I just pulled the trigger 100 times on my new 1991A1, and it went BANG every time...No jams, stovepipes, FTFs, nothing...I tried a variety of ammo and the damn thing ate it all...even shot a really decent group.

I'd like to complain to somebody, but according to the dealers and gun show freaks, Colt went out of business about a year ago!!!

(I've got to find out who made my 1991A1 that has a production date of January 2001!)

Maybe this guy Mark knows! :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well guys, I know what you mean about these new Colts. As the owner of a recent 1991A1 full size and an XS Officers, I can attest to what has been said. No one has, however, stated the REASON for what we've all observed. Despite everything that has been done at the factory to manufacture these things, the people at Colt, try as they may, have yet to be able to teach their 1911's HOW TO READ. They just haven't read that they're not supposed to be reliable out of the box. These 1911's obviously have not logged on to various web sites to read and understand their proper place in the realm of 1911's. Oh well... perhaps some day our Colts will learn to read and assume their proper place. Regards.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Redzone,

You do have a way with words.

All my days are nice, some are nicer than others. Thank you for the seniments.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I think Colt 1911s are now made by Chevrolet or Nissan. Either a tough as nails or comeback company. Since Colt is now legend, what else is there to compare to Kimbers and Glocks?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know these new Colt are the best yet. They are really super great shooters just out of the box. Colt has really done a great job on their quality.

[This message has been edited by meusoc45 (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
A friend of mine had the same "problem." I told him he might have trouble with his new Colt out of the box; but he's already put 1000 rounds through it over the weekend without a hitch. Some guys have all the luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh, great! I already put down a deposit for this thing, and y'all are telling me it might not even need any customization??!!

To hell with Colt!
;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts