1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused!

I just bought a new 45 caliber Kimber Eclipse Target II and a Springfield nickel plated 38 Super 1911. I was reading the instructions of both and I am confused about the following instructions regarding lowering the trigger on an unloaded pistol, such as when you're done shooting for the day or you are showing it to someone else.

Kimber says "pull the trigger allowing the hammer to free fall forward on the empty chamber. Do not ease the hammer down by holding or blocking it. Doing so can mar the sear tip which will result in a substandard trigger pull." (Page 22 of the Operational Manual).

Springfield says on page 20 of its Operation and Safety Manual "carefully lower hammer as described in the HAMMER LOWERING section (Page 22)." Turning to page 22, the instructions tell you to squeeze the trigger while holding onto the hammer with thumb and forefinger, slowly lower hammer until it is fully forward, release the trigger.

Unless these two pistols have some design differences inside, it seems to me these two instructions are in conflict with each other.

Any advice from the experts who might shed some light on which of these instructions is best for the 1911? I'm off to the range tomorrow and I'd like to handle both firearms in the same way.

Happy holidays to all 1911 folks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just a thought, but I suspect the folks at Kimber are worried that you'll mar the sear tip on the full cock or intercept notches. If you pull the hammer back, completely squeeze and hold the trigger, then lower the hammer, you will be fine. At the same time, if you just pull the trigger and let it fall you'll also be fine.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I agree with the previous post. I think Kimber was being overly cautious. However, I always just dry fire the gun anyways, unless if the slide is disassembled from the frame, in that case, I slowly lower the hammer (per SA instructions).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts