1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a gun show today and a dealer had both a blue and stainless Combat Commander (non XSE) Series 80 guns.

The blued version had a non-beavertail style grip safety and what looked like the current deep reddish wood grips. The stainless gun had black plastic grips and what looked like a Defender style beaver tail grip safety.

I didn't buy either one but I got one of his cards, and thought I'd do a price check on Gun Broker and or elsewhere.

On Gun Broker I saw a stainless gun like the one I was looking at, but it was labeled "Colt Combat Commander 1991A1 1911 A1" in the add. So, my question is, is this a "1911 Series 80" or some kind of "1991 Series 80", or does it matter? I'm simply not "up" on late model Combat Commanders in this regard.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Good place to start with the 70 v 80 v 1911 v 1991 issue:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

As far as functionality, I personally don't think it matters if the gun has the 80 series parts or not. Either weapon will go bang when called upon. Some will say the s80 parts prevent a "good" trigger pull, or that many gunsmiths won't work on those types of triggers. While that may have been true when Colt brought them to market (not sure exactly when, at least 20 years ago), they've been around long enough that shouldn't be a problem. Kimber and Smith & Wesson have their own version of those extra firing pin safeties.

Shop around on the 'net for price guidelines. I'm sure someone around here will be able to tell you if the configurations you described are original or some after market parts may be in play.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They are both series 80 setups. They are also both 1911s. The 1991 was/is a model lineup of colts that have the typical upgrades people add to a GI model.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah, it is a bit confusing. The current 1991A1 Series Commanders, both blue and stainless, have steel (and stainless steel) frames and are referenced on Colt's website as "Combat Commanders". The naming convention would be consistent with earlier steel-framed guns. However the rollmarks on the slide of the current pistols read only "Commander Model" rather than "Combat Commander" which is not consistent with earlier varients.

Where it becomes even more confusing is the current stainless steel framed XSE Commander is called only Commander Model on their website_____ dropping the "Combat" prefix; and Colt's alloy framed XSE models are referred to as Lightweight Commanders. In earlier days, alloy-framed guns where referred to only as Commanders_____ not Lightweight Commanders. So.... :confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1911 vs 1991

Thanks...I think I've figured this out. Basically it appears that in current offerings, there is no "Combat Commander" in the historic sense. I'll know what to keep in eye out for now. Although, I have to wonder why they just couldn't have kept things simple and continued the CC model and not screwed everything up. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Basically it appears that in current offerings, there is no "Combat Commander" in the historic sense.
The O4691 is a pretty direct lineal descendant of the original "Combat Commander Model".

The only substantive changes are the taller combat three-dot sights, 80 series safety, and lowered ejection port. The configuration of flat MSH and long trigger was altered. Many would consider all of these minor changes as desirable.

But it is well and true an honest "Combat Commander" as the model was known. I am a traditionalist when it comes to 1911 handguns, and I don't find much to gripe about with the 04691. The one I have is very accurate, well made, and with a stunningly nice trigger as delivered - no mods necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not all Combat Commanders are series 80..

The early Combat Commanders had series 80 s/n (started with 80B) but were really series 70 inside (no firing pin block). Not sure when they transitioned to series 80 inside (mine is series 70 inside with 80Bxxxxx serial number).

The original grip safety was not a beavertail but the hammer was the commander style.

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts