1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Apart from serving in the Navy he seems perfectly sane! Go Army!

This isn't an isolated case, I know of several others in which the VA has initiated such unnecessary psych evals resulting in firearms restrictions and confiscations from individuals who are no threat to self or anyone else and have no serious mental health issues to speak of. I hope something is done about this as most that I know have reverted to recluses and don't trust local law or the judicial system as a result of what has happened to them personally (which sounds like the case with this individual). Considering the fact that when you serve you swear an oath to protect this country and the Constitution, most feel they have a played a role in protecting the very institution they are now afraid of.

On a related note, psych evals are common practice for employment now. Not to alarm anyone but the benign 'test' you take as part of an application process is in fact often a mild psych eval. I have studied psychology (taking every related course available during my college years) and find this very discerning. Not only does it intrude upon your privacy it is a faulty method for discriminating against individuals (similar to what is going on in the VA system). In both cases the decisions made about some one's mental health is nothing more than a reflection of the insecurities of others (often those who design the tests and administer them) and not a real measure of mental wellbeing.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Connecticut Vet Says VA And Cops Took His Guns By Force For Refusing Psych Exam Over Back Injury: http://patdollard.com/2013/03/conne...rce-for-refusing-psych-exam-over-back-injury/ :mad::mad: Oh and he is a 50 year old Navy veteran.
Yes, because youtube videos and claims made on podcasts and radio shows performed by men who cannot mouth the word psychiatric are of the highest authenticity. The VA tells of the state of New York after the safe act and then just freely points the police towards veterans...the cops perform search and seizures without warrants...and of course the NRA, the national media, and the rest of us are clueless?

I'm a veteran, I have been diagnosed with PTSD, and I have friends who have as well. None of our guns have been touched. This includes, men still actively serving, guys who fought as far back as World War II (sadly there are fewer of them each year) and Korea that I have met through the VA. None of us has had any sort of problem, none of us have heard anything about such incidents from those we served with living around the country. Somehow magically they all stay mum outside the world of blogs, utlra-right-wing...oh pardon me non-lamestream "media"outlets, and talk radio? Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

This smacks of a recent post on here where someone was going on about a call on Rush Limbaugh (I won't argue this, he is not a source of journalistic integrity) about a Florida OBGYN refusing treatment to patients who refused to answer a screening question over gun ownership. After I did multiple Google and Bing searches and I found nothing even remotely credible. No source documents, no hospitals or doctors named, no angry victims, nothing about the state of Florida investigating a violation of its own laws, nada.

People can come on talk radio and blogs and say whatever they like. It does not make it fact or even remotely true and we have people who claim to be on our side that will happily lie to us, send out the odd red herring, and whatnot because they think that if we act like a bunch of ignorant rubes that go on the attack without proper provocation or true evidence it will somehow help our cause. Sometimes I wonder-I am very anti-conspiracy theory-but just sometimes I think guys like Bloomberg who have been proven to have anti-gun individuals pretend to be pro-gun on blogs and forums also have folks calling in some of this crap. If we act irrational and fearful and stupid then we really will seem like bitter white guys that hate the government. Why try to paint a picture of us when we can be a living caricature? Disinformation is a powerful tool.

We need to think about these articles, look for validation, and then address them if they even warrant our attention. If they don't we need to contact the shows and blogs seeping them out like noxious vapors and ask that they screen better or we will go elsewhere.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Yes, because youtube videos and claims made on podcasts and radio shows performed by men who cannot mouth the word psychiatric are of the highest authenticity.

We need to think about these articles, look for validation, and then address them if they even warrant out attention. If they don't we need to contact the shows and blogs seeping them out like noxious vapors and ask that they screen better or we will go elsewhere.
Pay attention folks. Kodadek is worth listening to. Think about the things you read, hear or see. Vet them. Know your sources and try to debunk them prior to going on and on like a raped ape on the interwebz. Don't be a fool.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, because youtube videos and claims made on podcasts and radio shows performed by men who cannot mouth the word psychiatric are of the highest authenticity. The VA tells of the state of New York after the safe act and then just freely points the police towards veterans...the cops perform search and seizures without warrants...and of course the NRA, the national media, and the rest of us are clueless?

I'm a veteran, I have been diagnosed with PTSD, and I have friends who have as well. None of our guns have been touched. This includes, men still actively serving, guys who fought as far back as World War II (sadly there are fewer of them each year) and Korea that I have met through the VA. None of us has had any sort of problem, none of us have heard anything about such incidents from those we served with living around the country. Somehow magically they all stay mum outside the world of blogs, utlra-right-wing...oh pardon me non-lamestream "media"outlets, and talk radio? Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

This smacks of a recent post on here where someone was going on about a call on Rush Limbaugh (I won't argue this, he is not a source of journalistic integrity) about a Florida OBGYN refusing treatment to patients who refused to answer a screening question over gun ownership. After I did multiple Google and Bing searches and I found nothing even remotely credible. No source documents, no hospitals or doctors named, no angry victims, nothing about the state of Florida investigating a violation of its own laws, nada.

People can come on talk radio and blogs and say whatever they like. It does not make it fact or even remotely true and we have people who claim to be on our side that will happily lie to us, send out the odd red herring, and whatnot because they think that if we act like a bunch of ignorant rubes that go on the attack without proper provocation or true evidence it will somehow help our cause. Sometimes I wonder-I am very anti-conspiracy theory-but just sometimes I think guys like Bloomberg who have been proven to have anti-gun individuals pretend to be pro-gun on blogs and forums also have folks calling in some of this crap. If we act irrational and fearful and stupid then we really will seem like bitter white guys that hate the government. Why try to paint a picture of us when we can be a living caricature? Disinformation is a powerful tool.

We need to think about these articles, look for validation, and then address them if they even warrant our attention. If they don't we need to contact the shows and blogs seeping them out like noxious vapors and ask that they screen better or we will go elsewhere.
Pay attention folks. Kodadek is worth listening to. Think about the things you read, hear or see. Vet them. Know your sources and try to debunk them prior to going on and on like a raped ape on the interwebz. Don't be a fool.

Exactly. So where is his proof that this is false? Kodadek, let me call the VA and tell them that you have guns and have PTSD. That is all I will say and we will test the system out. You have nothing to fear since this is all a conspiracy theory right? I see, the main stream media does not mention it so it must be false, right? Again, PM me just your full name, no address or anything else. I will call the VA and make just a statement, no false accusations or lies. Better yet, no need to bother. I will just report this post to the FEDS and let them run your IP. Nothing you have to worry about since this stuff is not happening:rolleyes:

James

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Exactly. So where is his proof that this is false? Kodadek, let me call the VA and tell them that you have guns and have PTSD. That is all I will say and we will test the system out. You have nothing to fear since this is all a conspiracy theory right? I see, the main stream media does not mention it so it must be false, right? Again, PM me just your full name, no address or anything else. I will call the VA and make just a statement, no false accusations or lies. Better yet, no need to bother. I will just report this post to the FEDS and let them run your IP. Nothing you have to worry about since this stuff is not happening:rolleyes:

James
Fine, send me a PM, I'll give you my name and address.

Fact is that someone makes a claim like this every couple of months, it is never validated and it dies. Despite the multitude of these "calls" I've yet to run into other veterans that this has happened to. Period, end of discussion.

The burden of proof lies with the accuser and not the other way around. This man wants to impugn the VA and claim that his guns were taken without a warrant or proper psychological evaluation VIA a wellness check? Fine, let's see proof. Eyewitnesses, his guns tagged and logged into an evidence locker, an official from the VA to testify that they did indeed contact a state of local agency to inform them of this man's status as a veteran and his ownership of multiple firearms. It's a two way street and I at least have a history of such whack jobs never delivering a damn thing. "So and so said on a podcast that so and so is doing this and it was on a conservative blog, it must be true!!!!" Also, "You can't prove it's not true" that's a pretty weak argument. Trying to call me out? Heck, I've talked about hunting and shooting at the VA and I assume they're smart enough to know that if he hunts and shoots he owns guns. Still, shoot me that PM and I will happily give you all the pertinent information.

Look, you want it to be true or you're truly afraid it might be true. This does not mean that we should take the piss out of all logic and run wild. We can add, subtract, multiple, divide, and come up with a basic formula, a pattern. Every so often such and such a claim is made. Last time it was some jackass trying to sound official using his title as the "Grand-Poobah, Second-Caliph, and high priest" of such and such an agency...never mind that with all the officialdom and uppity names it was is literally not any sort of real agency or even a political actions group per say. After hours of looking for any proof (none of which did he provide on his "site") to validate his claims I came up with nothing. To make matters worse the drivel I had to sift through to find not so much as a nugget of evidence was so bad that now my dog and I are both mentally retarded.

There are people who make a business out of your fear; others like to stir the pot; some idiots just think they're helping; and lord knows that more than one of these jackasses with their podcasts or blogs has been caught using staged and scripted calls. Then you have the chance of disinformation from the other side. Add to that a history of these things turning into wild goose chases and pure BS and you've hardly shamed or compelled me into agreeing with you.

If you don't want your preconceptions abused, destroyed, or called into question it is best to never share them.

·
Banned
69 Posts

James

Remember James, never go full (edit)

Moderator comment: Discuss without using derogatory names here please. - Fin

·
Registered
824 Posts
My son spent 10 yrs in the navy got a medical discharge. Diagnosised with ptsd he's bought guns and was never been harassed about guns.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
My son spent 10 yrs in the navy got a medical discharge. Diagnosised with ptsd he's bought guns and was never been harassed about guns.
Pretty much the same here. Diagnosed after I got out and a few blackouts when drinking and some bad years. Family talked me into going in to see someone and I did. For over four years since then I have purchased multiple firearms, never been harassed, never "questioned" by any of the doctors or staff at the VA. I even used to talk with my old doc (he got his citizenship and he chose to go somewhere more lucrative than the VA, I cannot blame him...he came here for the American dream) about hunting and fishing. So this tale of the big bad VA handing gun owners to state and local agencies is a myth...a boogeyman created by folks who want you scared.

Claiming they are disarming veterans is pretty much the ultimate way to get people angry. We're all but a protected class anymore and even your hardcore progressives and liberals at least have to pretend to be pro-veteran.

As a third generation disabled veteran on my father's side and fourth generation on my mother's I am more than a bit disgusted at anyone that would attempt to use us, especially with false/unvalidated claims, to escalate tensions and get people to unlimber their pitchforks and torches. Sorry but anyone that would willingly use us in a lie? Pro-gun or not I put them in the same category as Michelle and Barack, Shotgun Joe, Feinstein, Pelosi, or Mark Kelley. They can kiss my dimpled backside if they think they can use veterans as leverage...especially false leverage.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Filing this under "stirring the pot for the benefit of the the tinfoil hat wearing."

Closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.