1911Forum banner

Considering a Custom Eclipse II

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Tacmedicmatt 
#1 ·
Arrrghhh... I'm debating whether I should trade my old model Kimber Custom for a new Custom Eclipse II. On one hand, my current Kimber shoots just fine and it'd be about another $500 after trade-in. On second thought, that two-tone black stainless and brush polish looks so coooool.

Debatingdebatingdebatingdebatingdebating.....

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

See less See more
Reactions: Retired AF CE
#2 ·
Howdy DSK, I've been waiting for 2 months for my local gunshop to get one in. I had my name on the list, the clerks told me that there was an 8 month waiting list on these hot potatoes! Well, I got the call today, went down over lunch, and....crap, I am so disappointed. This is the most hurriedly thrown together piece of crap I've seen come from a gun manufacurer! I was a major supporter of kimber until right now. I refused to buy the pistol and showed the proprietor why. 1. Rear night sight insert glued in with glue running across the sight 2. Beavertail had numerous scratches and blems. 3. Operating levers(slide release and safety) nicked up and finish looks like it was put on grease covered steel. 4. Slide was looser than any kimber I've handled. 5. Trigger pull was long rough and creepy. So, not a custom shop? Kimber. The worm has turned.

I had seen another eclipse in Denver that was fine. That one looked good, and the stainless side of the slide had a titanium hue to it, edges were smooth, sharp, but smooth if you know what I mean. This one was a skin chainsaw waiting to have it's way with someone. I was all set to hand over 1K somolians. Now, I may continue to save and buy a Les Baer. I hope the one you're looking at is a good one. What did Kimber do? Make 100 nice pieces to see how they'd sell, then contract out to Charles Daly? Gary

#3 ·
My local dealer has two. I examined both of them, and I agree with you on the nicks and scratches that seem to come on them out of the box! It's amzing how factories don't even care how they treat their own merchandise. Anyway, one was real nice and had a nice trigger pull, the other had not-so-nice markings and a rough trigger pull, plus a grip safety that would stick. Hmm, which one should I get???

It's typical Kimber, or typical fill-in-the-blank 1911 manufacturer. One example can be about perfect, while the next one off the line can be a piece of crap. But for a STS gun with adjustable sights and 30lpi checkering under $1k you have to take your chances, I guess. I will tell you though, I once saw a NIB Les Baer for $1600 that wasn't put together nearly as well as the worse of the two Kimbers I just examined!

#4 ·
Just brought it home today, and sure enough the trade still left a $500 hole to fill. But I did examine the new Kimber at length, and I'm pleased to say that overall their quality of workmanship is still just as high as that displayed on the low-S/N Kimber I just traded in. Feed ramp looks right, slide/frame/barrel fit is excellent, safeties feel right, trigger pull is decent, exterior finish is excellent, and yes even the extractor is properly tensioned on this one. The one thing it could benefit from is a little more softening of the edges, but at least it's no cheese grater like a Springfield.

Pictures, details on the unique FP safety, and a range report soon to follow.

#5 ·
We had two Eclipses, neither had scratches, though one did have sharper lettering and detailing.
The bar-night sight looks okay, same as the bar sight on my novak's.

Of course, I wish Kimber would clean their guns after test firing, instead of just dropping the dirty gun into a bag of grease. <sigh>

#6 ·
I noticed that! This one was filthy when I first took it apart. And yes, the lettering on this one was more distinct than on the other one they had. On that one the Kimber logo looked like a smeared ink blot.

Anyway, with no further ado here's the little beauty herself:

#7 ·
Finally had a chance to pop some caps with it today. It was during my lunchbreak so I only had time to shoot 100 rounds. But man, talk about a one-hand rifle! The sights only required a couple turns of the screws to get sighted in, too. Granted I was only shooting FMJ ammo, but there were FTF or FTE of any kind. Now's to cobble up some handloads using freakazoid bullet profiles just to see how reliable it is.

#8 ·
Howdy dsk, well my dealer called me and said that they had another Eclipse in...yes, I brought it home. Vast improvement over the one I described above. Perhaps a little QA program enhancement is needed at Kimber. None of the problems were evident on this pistol. Going home to clean it and get ready for tomorrow's IPSC match. I don't have a holster or any extra mags yet. I'm interested in the Kydex style holsters, any input would be appreciated. Also, any problems associated with Kimber mags? I mentioned above that I'm a Kimber fan, true, I've shot 3 different pistols, but this is MY first 1911. FWTW. Thanks, Gary

#9 ·
I'm not going to use the mag that came with mine for anything other than range practice. Instead, I bought three Wilson 8-rounders. MUCH better mags than what come with this or any other current 1911!

#11 ·
Hey that's a cool pic dsk, what a beauty!

I went to a local sale at a gunshop in my area and took a glimpse of the Eclipse and it was love at first sight (although, a Gold Combat took my eyes off it for a little bit). The price was right $949 and I ended up grabbing it. Although I won't have it for 10 more days (Kalifornia law - YIIKKKES!) I was very pleased with the overall "feel" of the gun, the fit was tight, and the trigger was smooth and crisp. I had to get the display gun because it was the only one they had in stock. It did have some minor scratches on the slide stop and grip safety area, but I'm not as particular as others on such minor cosmetic issues. Let's hope its a keeper!

#12 ·
Originally posted by Glock_Racer:
Hey that's a cool pic dsk, what a beauty!

Hey Glock_racer, I took your idea of using Kimber wallpaper and right-clicked on dsk's Eclipse picture and it now adorns my desktop as a reminder of what a beautiful gun it is and that I'm fortunate enough to own one. Thanks for the tip!

[This message has been edited by HondoBWH (edited 07-16-2001).]

#13 ·
I must admit, that two-tone black/silver look is really striking. Actually, that's what made me want it to start with! I'm just surprised nobody else thought up that type of finish sooner. I spied it on a Monday after shooting at the local range/store, bought it on Tuesday, and took it home on Wednesday (damn NICS). Considering I usually agonize and think things over that was a really fast buying decision of mine. I still haven't fired it much so far. Hopefully the rear sight won't disintregate.

------------------
D. Kamm

#15 ·
Howdy all, well, I went to the range and burned thru about 60 rds last night....Yeah Baby! This is a shootin' Iron! The first mag of American Eagle 230 hardball at about 15 yds had about a 3-4" spread. I shot it rather quickly on an IPSC silhouette target, I then moved it out to 25 yds, bore down and took my time and had 5 shots touching with 3 "flyers" for about a 2.5 to 3 inch group. Granted, this is over a range bag as a rest, but still, compared to the way I shoot my USP, this is fantastic! Less muzzle flip and followup shots are much faster. I am one happy pistolero. This gun will get my full attention, later, Gary

#16 ·
Kinda nice, ain't it GoWyo? Just set the gun up, pull the trigger, walk off and have a coffee, and in less than 5 minutes have a set of targets with perfect groups!

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-17-2001).]

#17 ·
Of course, I wish Kimber would clean their guns after test firing, instead of just dropping the dirty gun into a bag of grease. <sigh>[/B]
I've purchased a number of Kimbers and if you think they are dirty take a look at the Springfileds at your local shop. I was chcecking out a new SA and thought at first that the gun was used based on the amount of filth in the gun!

#18 ·
Ok, I'm itchin' for mine now. Nine more days to the day I get to pick it up

After disassembling it and giving it the usual fine detailing - I think I will handle it - making sure I don't leave any fingerprints on the slide - stare at it - but not too close enough to breath on it and get moisture - dry fire it - until I'm used to the trigger pull... Then after about an hour or so I think I might actually drive to the local range and shoot the darn thing

#19 ·
Shot mine again today, another 100 rounds using Wilson 8-rounders. No functioning problems, and perfect centering of groups. It'd sure be nice if all Kimbers were like this out of the box, that way the rest of you wouldn't be so upset half the time.

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-18-2001).]

#20 ·
Originally posted by WG:
I've purchased a number of Kimbers and if you think they are dirty take a look at the Springfileds at your local shop. I was chcecking out a new SA and thought at first that the gun was used based on the amount of filth in the gun!
We get that alot with revolver's, because of the flash from test-firing.
(This discounting those that want to return their gun because "it's cracked". The seam where the sideplate is, or those that thing the case hardening on teh hammer/ trigger of a S&W is rust. :)
Haven't stocked the SA in years, but with Kimber's I've noticed that their custom shop guns are generally dirtier. I wonder if they fire more through them than the others. :;shrug::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.