1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in a local archery shop, I noticed they had a Pro Carry (blue) in the used pistol case. They're asking $525 for the gun and one mag (no box/papers). I didn't go over it real closely, but it seemed pretty clean and well cared for.

Is this a good price? Any comments on the gun and it's accuracy/reliability. I think it gas an aluminum frame- anything to be concerned about?

I own 3 full size Colts, this would be my first foray in to Kimberland. Thoughts?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Badger, I have a pro stainless in 40 S&W. Since 40 barrel is ramped can't comment on on pro frame but I have an old compact aluminum 45 that has many many rounds of hardball through it with no frame feed ramp wear that I can see. Price sounds ok for pistol you describe. I have 6 Kimbers all shoot well and are reliable but there is always a dog out there. You chances of a good shooter are a lot better than with a Colt etc. Please Colt folks don't flame, I own and carry Colt. Just experience speaking. If fit and finish are to your liking go for it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Badger, that sounds a little steep to be honest. Presuming it's in good condition, I would offer no more than $500. I don't know if prices are 'high' around your neck of the woods, but I paid $549 + tax NEW in box for my Pro Carry (blued). In fact, you might start at $450 and work your way up. If they have the skills, they might be willing to add night sights for no charge. Or maybe they'll throw in a Wilson 8-rd mag extra.

Be sure to check everything, especially the frame. Note any severe scratches, etc. Also, see if you can shoot it (if they have a range.)

It's a great .45 for shooting and/or carry. If you do end up buying it, then work it over really well the first couple of days. Note any issues. (Check the extractor tension as well. i.e. make sure it ejects brass cleanly.)

-Nick

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a blue Pro Carry and love it. I have a couple thousand rounds thru it and it seems to just get better the more I shoot it.

The gun is more accurate than I am, but I'm working on that. On more than one occation I've had people stop me just to comment on how tight my groupings are. Personally I don't think 3 inch group at 15 yards is all that great, but the gun can do better.

I paid $725.00 for mine. Kimbers seem to bring a premium price around here. If I saw a Pro Carry around here for $525, I'd have to jump on it and suffer the wrath of my wife for having two of them.

[This message has been edited by scarman (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a SS Pro Carry. It has about 3k rounds thru it and is my preferred CCW pistol. The gun just seems to balance well in my hand and is very accurate.

I would recommend one to anyone looking for a good defensive pistol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I almost bought one but it was sitting next to a PRO-CDP and .......... well ......... it looked a little wanting in comparison.

PRO-CDP is my pick for carry.

The perfect lightweight commander!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a blue Pro Carry that has had several hundred rounds through it with no problems.
Don't think you need worry about the frame.
Mine is still like new. Very reliable, very accurate, and is on my belt as I write this.
Can't think of a better recommendation!!!!

------------------
John

·
Registered
332 Posts
my sts pro carry is great. polished up the flats on the slide and prettier than ever. reliable since i got it, aluminum frame shows no wear that i can notice, after several thousand rds through it. i did change the grips though, and just got my wilson custom mag well delivered at my girl's house. gonna go put it in and change out the springs while i'm at it. good luck. not sure about the pricing...i'd go see what you can get a new one for. if the used one you're talking about is a series "I" and if your state only allows series "II" pistols, then i'd say it's worth it. some people (not me)have had a rough time with the qc with the new pistols. take care all, and God bless our souls.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well, my pro carry had a few minor problems with it (slid stop oversized causing ftf's, extrctor improperly adjusted), but I thought it was still a fairly nice gun (paid close to 750 for mine new but never again).
Light, easy to conceal, very accurate.
But now I have a Wilson.

I might get another pro carry in the future, but I will make sure that everything is straight first.

·
Registered
555 Posts
What do you intend to use the gun for? If it's for carry an alloy frame is fine. If it's for a LOT of shooting I'd go with the Pro Carry SLE or HD (steel frame). In my experience, the steel frame is more comfortable to shoot. $550 seems a little steep for a used K<imber, especially since they're selling around here for about $650.

I have mixed feeling about my Pro Carry. For the first 500-700 rounds it wasn't very reliable--lots of FTF's. It seems to be behaving better, but by now I've lost trust in the gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts