1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy is trying to get me into handgun hunting and gave me a contender for a song & dance with .223rem, 30-30WCF and 45/70 barrels, I reload for all three. He also gave a manual, the complete reloading manual for the contender series pistols. The manual is a little old I suspect as some of the newer powders are not listed. My question pertains to the 30-30 and 223. Is it safe to use regular load data from Lees madern reloading II and my other caliber specific manuals. I know 45-70 loads get tricky with all the older rifles and newer technology out there, so, again, for now just concerned with the 223 and 30-30. My contender manual lists loads within sami specs, so if my other load data is within sami specs I should be good right? Case in point, the contender manual lists H322 as a favorite for the 223. It doesn't list H335, which is my favorite, and I happen to have allot of, so if I use a proven, safe load often used in my rem 700's, can I also use this load in the contender? All loads across the board listed for the contender are similair if not the same as loads listed in other manuals, but the other loads aren't specific to what to use them in. Most of my manuals list pressure also, which I like and is usefull, but the contender manual doesn't. Any experience out there to point me in the right direction? Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The contender is a strong gun. Any loads that meets the sami specks will be safe in the contender. The problem is that with the short barrels usually 10" to 14", loads that were designed to work well in 22 to 30" barrels will not burn all the slower power. The loads listed in the contender manual will usually be for a little faster power than what you would use for a longer barrel. Factory 3030 amo will work OK in the 10" but with a lot of mussel flash and lower velocity. There are several wild cats that were developed for the contender (smaller cases) that dealt with this problem. The 3030 and 223 are my favorite calibers for the contender. :rock:

Have fun they are a great gun Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most reloading manuals have Contender specific loads. Some are pretty good, others not so great.

I have loaded for a 10" .30-30 for years and have found that, in my barrel at least, that IMR-4198 with bullets of 125-150 grains works best. I have never chronographed these. Groups from a sandbag rest at 100 yds with a 2.5x scope run around 3". Other folks could probably shoot much better, I can't.

Can't comment on .223, but in a 14" .222 H322, IMR-4198 and H335 have worked well. I did have an opportunity to chrono some loads for these. Velocities with charges just under maximum listed loads were 2700 to just over 2800 fps. Groups ran 1.5" or better at 100 yds. 1" groups were seen from time to time, if you held your mouth just right.

Hope this helps at least a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts