1911Forum banner

Conversation at the gun store when I picked up my first Colt

1290 7
Had it shipped here from budsgunshop.com in Paris, KY.

Here is the conversation in the shop when I dropped by to pick it up from Barbara, my FFL today.

She handed me the shipping box. I cut it open and started unpacking the gun (a 2005-prod O1991 btw).

Barbara: Looks better than i was expecting
Ed (her husband, eating some chicken): That's a Colt?
Barbara: Mm hm.
Me: Do you have a barrel bushing wrench? This bushing is tight.
Ed: Well that's a good thing.
Barbara: Let me try.

Barbara: Nope, too tight for hand. I don't have a wrench here.
Ed: Mine's at home.
Bystander: The first thing I would do is throw those two Colt magazines in the trash and get some Wilsons.
Me: Will you call me next time you are going to throw away Colt magazines? I would like them. All they do is WORK RIGHT.
Bystander: .....
Barbara: You owe me $30 for the FFL and FBI call.
Old man counterperson: see young man, $30 is a great deal for a pistol.
Me: you bet!

Me: the pistol was really $615.
Old man counterperson: That is a good price, it's half what my Ed Brown cost me wholesale.
Me: Well, this is not going to be as nice as a Brown, this is factory plain jane.
Ed: The fit and finish is best I've seen from Colt in five years.
Barbara: me too but I ignore Colt since they ignore the civilian market.
Me: Colt split into two seperate corporate entities last year, so that one side can go after us better. This after they hired a retired Army General to run things. His first move was to start listening to the customers.
Barbara: Apparently.
Me: ......

Me: I like this trigger a lot better than my Springfield.
Barbara: you have an older Springfield.
Me: Yeah, 2001.
Barbara: They're getting better and better.
Me: Seems like everyone is.
Ed: This is good, we need more American companies making good work like this.
Me: :D:D:D
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
What did you do, secretly tape the entire conversation? :hrm:

Congrats on your new piece. Frankly though I'm surprised you didn't get the "Wow, I didn't even know Colt was still in business" comment from somebody.

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
He's doing the impossible. Of COURSE he's a Marine!

· Registered
8,302 Posts
"fit and finish are best seen in five years?"

thanks for sharing that.

that gives me hope the next one in (or the one after that) will be a touch better than the one i looked at as i still have COLT on my list of "to buy" guns.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dsk said:
What did you do, secretly tape the entire conversation? :hrm:

Congrats on your new piece. Frankly though I'm surprised you didn't get the "Wow, I didn't even know Colt was still in business" comment from somebody.
Me too. :)

Thanks. It's a really pretty piece. I will post pics in a few mins.

· Registered
146 Posts
scottauld said:
Bystander: The first thing I would do is throw those two Colt magazines in the trash and get some Wilsons.
I've seen that sentiment expressed before for not just Colt guns, but Kimbers and Springfields too.

My LNIB Colt Combat Elite came with a eight-round factory mag, and I had them swap it right there for a factory seven-rounder. We both thought we got the better part of the deal. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.