1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion for a .22 Conversion Kit for my gold Cup. I already know about the kimber. Any other brand or even experience(s) with any conversion kit.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
I like the Colt conversion unit, especially on a Colt.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a Colt .22 Conversion slide on a Colt Gold Cup frame. It is very accurate (1.3" gps @ 25 yds) but if you don't use copper plated bullets it will lead up quickly and won't function as it jams up the slide. Using Break Free helps a lot. The gun is loud for a .22 and does have a slight recoil.
I also have a .22 Jonathon A Ciener Conversion slide, Platinum version (target model) on a Colt 1911 frame made in 1918, which I have accurized. It also is very accurate (1.3" gps @ 25 yds) but since it is a blow-back design, no leading therefore no jamming.
I just bought the new CCI Select, a .38 grain .22 LR, RN lead bullet, specifically deigned for semi-auto target pistols. This is very much fun to shoot. It has a low pop and virtually no recoil. More fun to shoot than the Colt .22 Conversion. The Ciener sells by mail (no FFL required) for about $250 plus $10 shipping, and worth every penny. See www.22lrconversions.com. Note though, it is tight and was too tight for three Colt Govt model/Gold Cup frames but fit the reworked 1911 like a glove, where it now permanently resides. Bob

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
The Ace conversion units are nice. Mine was made in 1978. They can be pricey on the used market, and with the floating chamber do have a bit more recoil than the others. I also have a Ciener Plat. Cup. I got mine through Brownells. Marvel is another one I have, and it is also good, and more accurate than the others.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Get a Marvel I conversion unit. You will marvel at the results, for it will show you just what kind of shooter you are - or aren't.
Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Marvels the most accurate. If it's just for tin cans, then any of the kits are fine. The Colt kits are the best if your looking for the old bluing thing since they are the traditional carbon steel slides, they also have a split chamber to add recoil and sound for training purposes. Ciener is a PIA to deal with and theb slides are aluminum.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
And as a side note I had problems getting my Colt Ace on a Kimber bottom. Also, Kimber's unit is another good tin can plinker and takes down in fuzzy ways to the 1911.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Advantage Arms Target unit generally gets good marks and is about $100 less than the Marvel. I have an AA Target kit but haven't shot it yet. The reason is I have been having too much fun shooting my Jarvis conversion kit. I would highly recommend the Jarvis but sadly they don't make them anymore, so you would have to find a used one like I did.

Also, if locking back on the last round is desired you will have to stick with Colt, Advantage Arms or Jarvis. There may be others that lock back. Someone will chime in if I missed one.

I would warn you about the Ceiners. People have good luck with them generally, but if you have a problem with it, good luck getting it serviced. His reputation is the worst that I have ever heard.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
Yes I should mention I have bought a couple Ciener kits, but through Brownells. I would suggest going through them and then you have their very good service to deal with if you have a problem. Should also mention that I have not had trouble with the Ciener kits I have bought, but called the Ciener company once about some questions, and was not impressed. I wonder if Brownells is doing QC on the Ciener stuff they buy?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with you. I have never heard any horror stories about his products. He seems to make very good products. But you get an insight of the man when he puts "Jonathan Arthur Ciener" across all his slides. I have never ever read a postive word about the man or his service. But I have read reams of complaints about him and his service. Brownells is a good idea.

Steve

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
RickB said:
I like the Colt conversion unit, especially on a Colt.
+1

Here's my Colt unit on a 1942 vintage Colt 1911A-1 USGI frame...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Was told that the new Colt ACE II and the Kimber units are all Ceiner products with different markings and sights...anyone know anything about this?

I have one of his units on a Dan Wesson Pointman stainless frame and it is an excellent shooter.

This was 30 rounds from each gun, the Ceiner and a Kimber...the guns hit where the sights are when the gun goes off.

This is a 70s vintage Government fixed sight .22 Conversion Unit that BoMar sights were added to to match the 1968 vintage .45 that it is attached to...

...and this is a 60s vintage Conversion Unit on a 1986 Super Elite frame...

If you can find one, and they are real hard to find...this is a Peters Stahl/Pachmayer all steel conversion...shoots like a S&W model 41 match gun...has to be fitted to the frame. This is a Commander length one on a 70s vintage Combat Commander...

I ordered a Marvel Long Slide last May...it is due to be shipped this week...I am hoping it is worth the wait.

.....yes I like .22 1911s....almost as much as I like 1911s in .38 Super...:rock:

Bob

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
Or a Kimber conversion unit on a Kimber Target Elite II bottom. Ten rounds CCI Stinger offhand slow fire at 22 yards. To prove to a friend this combo would work for serious plinking and pest removal.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
Plus the CCI Stingers give such a nice "blap" when they are fired and the Kimber does fit on at least one Gold Cup I tried it on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts