1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a .22 conversion for my 1991. I have seen and read about several but anyone have any suggestions or tips on what to stay away from or what I should look for?

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
It depends on what you want to use it for, plinking or bullseye. I've had 2 Colt Ace conversions and I liked the weight of them but accuracy wasn't bullseye quality. A Ceiner kit was more accurate but I only need minute of soda can accuracy. Now I've got a Kimber and a Colt. The Kimber is a great bargain and I use it in rimfire steel challenge matches due to its dependability. I've got it on an alloy frame and it's like shooting an airsoft pistol. I think the bullseye guys will chime in soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Kimber .22 conversion, and like it very much. The one short coming is, it doesn't lock back on the last shot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seven, Thanks much for the info. I don't shoot competition but a group of us get together and shoot against each other so I would like the accuracy. You say the Kimber was a "great bargin" and I am always looking for a bargain :) so I will look at those a little more carefully. I had kind of skipped over the Kimber thinking it would be the most expensive.

It also looks like 45leg likes the Kimber and neilage likes the Colt. He also mentioned the Nelson so I think I have enough to keep me busy for awhile

Thanks to all

It depends on what you want to use it for, plinking or bullseye. I've had 2 Colt Ace conversions and I liked the weight of them but accuracy wasn't bullseye quality. A Ceiner kit was more accurate but I only need minute of soda can accuracy. Now I've got a Kimber and a Colt. The Kimber is a great bargain and I use it in rimfire steel challenge matches due to its dependability. I've got it on an alloy frame and it's like shooting an airsoft pistol. I think the bullseye guys will chime in soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both the Kimber and a Marvel. The Marvel is more accurate but costs more. The Kimber is also accurate, but not quite the same. The Marvel does allow for accessories ie. comp, red dot sights etc. so it is worth it if you want to compete with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I favor the old Colt Conversion Units, but...

Nelson's conversion would be my second choice.

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/
I would strongly suggest a Marvel Precision unit.

Also I use an early 80s made Colt Ace for Steel Challenge competition. It was my practice pistol when I competed in IPSC. It's been totally reliable since modified.
The down side with them was the leading up and freezing of the floating chamber after several hundred fired rounds which caused stove piping.
I read an old 1970s article in the American Rifleman about modifying the chamber, and I did it. No more leading.
I also kind of accurized the pistol by installing a tight barrel bushing, shimming the sides of the bottom lug to stop horizontal movement in the frame, installed an oversized shaft slide stop and tightened the super hard slide to frame fit (this part I'd never do again) Now it hits 2" steel at 50 yds with my poor eye sight.
I practice timed, off hand rapid fire at five 8" steel plates @ 50 yds with it. It can sometimes do it in under 5 seconds

The Nelson / Marvel conversion looks like a spin off of the Marvel Precision unit 1 that Bob Marvel designed when he was part of, or owned that company.
http://www.marvelprecision.com/

The difference that I see is the Nelson unit uses a pinned in rear side ala Gold Cup, and a slide lock back, recently offered by Marvel Precision.
The problem that I've seen with this unit as with my Hi Standard Victors, S&W mod.41 and Marvel Precision are occasional stove pipes from ejected cases hitting the bottom of the rib and bouncing back and jamming the slide.

The Marvel precision unit 1 is another conversion I compete with. They guarantee under 1" moa at 50 yds. And send along a test target with each barrel. I have two barrels, one shot .704" and the other .933" @ 50 yds. w/ eley ammo. To stop the stove piping I shimmed up the ribs .017"with 3 layers if aluminum tape, which gives me .051" gap above the slide top and no more stove pipes.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Marvel Precision conversion, John

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have GSG .22LR conversion. It is a bargain for $150, unfortunately I have issue with magazine that is falling off from the frame while shooting. It may needs some filing, just don't have time to work on it right now.
From my understanding, GSG is a decent conversion. I haven't heard anything bad about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For a fact you guys have given me plenty to do research on. All priced very close to one another except the GSG thaat denoxster mentioned. I gotta check that one really careful. Price is unbelievablely cheap compared to others.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would also take a look at "Advantage Arms" conversion. I have had one for about two years on my Colt 1911 and the accuracy is on par with my Ruger Mark II bull barrel. Also the slide does lock back with last round fired. Just about all the conversion kits reccommend the use of high velocity 22 ammo such as the CCI stinger ammo for reliable function. The Advantage Arms gives very good function with Federal value pack ammo and other low cost 22 ammo if the velocity is over 1250 fps.
They have a web site and offer two grades of conversions, a standard model and a target version. I have the standard model.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks much RLH, I have read for several hours on the others so I will take a look at the Advantage Arms conversion. You mention you have the standard model.......in your opinion, any advantage in going to the target version?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks much RLH, I have read for several hours on the others so I will take a look at the Advantage Arms conversion. You mention you have the standard model.......in your opinion, any advantage in going to the target version?
Please allow me to offer an opinion on the Advantage arms unit. The wife has a unit for her Glock 17 and the instructions read to use either expensive CCI or Remington Golden Bullets because of extraction issues. As much as I've tried I can't get it to reliably extract any other brands. There seems to be an issue of the rim thickness or the recoil spring tension.

With that being said, I wrote earlier that I compete in Steel Challenge matches. With shortage of reloading components, a lot of competitors have gone to .22s. Our matches are 6 stages, 5 strings each stage. For a total of 150 rounds if there are no misses.
Because of the wife's issues with her Glock conversion, I looked at all the competitor using 1911 A.A. conversions and there hasn't been one that I've seen yet that's completed a match without a malfunction. IMHO if a plinking gun can't go several hundred rounds without an ejection or feeding problem it ain't worth my time.

This is only my observation and opinion over years of competing. I seem to remember that Bob Marvel started working with A.A. but severed ties with them for some reason that I don't know about.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a GSG 1911-22 that I love. Runs more reliably than the Kimbers I have fooled with and locks open on last shot. My mags do not fall out, maybe that was an isolated incident. I have done a trigger job and removed the mag safety. I recently fitted a new barrel bushing, the factory one was just there for looks. Extremely loose fit. Have not shot it much since installing the bushing but first few groups show improvement.
A friend just bought an ATI 45 with a GSG 22 kit included. I will report how well this one shoots. I am curious because the dedicated 1911-22 has an extra pin and screw to retain the barrel in the slide that the conversion kit does not have. The barrel will not be nearly as rigid which might effect accuracy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts