1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt 1991 NRM Stainless Government Model in .38 Super. I still want to be able to shoot Supers, but I would like to know what my options are for making this a dual caliber gun that will shoot 9mm also. I was thinking that all I would need is to have a 9mm barrel and different magazines. Is this correct? Would I have to have a different bushing for the 9mm barrel? What source for a 9mm barrel? I would love an actual Colt barrel. Is that a possibility, or would I be better off with an aftermarket one? Any suggestions on who to have fit the barrel? What are the best 9mm 1911 magazines? Thanks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not thought about the recoil spring or of the third caliber option (9x23). In addition to the initial questions, let me add this one. What weight recoil springs do those three calibers (9mm, .38 Super, and 9x23) need to run reliably? Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
The main reason I love this forum is that I always learn something. I had no idea this conversion was so easy. Where can you get a 9mm barrel, and how do you go about getting it fitted? I see a .38 super in my future.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
you can use the same mags for both, or all three, calibers. know that you'll experience greater nosedives with 9mm ammo than with 38 super. it's because the 9mm case is tapered. Springfield has a special magazine just for the 9mm, with a "feed ramp" designed into the front of the magazine. however, i'm not convinced that it's all that effective. other folks on this forum will argue otherwise. if you stay with round nose bullets in the 9mm, you should be just fine.

the 9X23 also nosedives more than the 38 super, but the 9X23 does not suffer the malfunctions like the 9X19 does, in my experience. the 9X23 is tapered also, it is essentially a longer 9mm Luger case.

depending on the source you read, the 9mm and 38 Super use the same 14 lb recoil spring. the 9X23 is better off with a stronger recoil spring since it produces plenty of recoil.

barrels. a drop in design might be all you need. however, if you are thinking 9X23, you might want to have one fitted properly. the faster slide velocity produced by the 9X23 can damage the barrel lugs if there is a sloppy fit between the barrel and slide.

barrels can be found lots of places. brownells (http://www.brownells.com/) has a good variety, and you might find original Colt barrels there. Note that some Colt 38 Super and 9X19 barrels have a thinner profile than the typical 1911 barrel. so make sure you match the bushing with the barrel. check Brownells for these as well. some places that will make custom bushings include Bar-Sto and possibly EGW.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The KART EZ-Fit barrel is the easiest to fit and they are accurate. You'll wait 6mos. for a BarSto but they are nice barrels. Shuemann barrels are the best if fitted correctly but you pay a premium, IMO they are worth the money.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did the same conversion with a Kart EZfit. Really easy project with all the relevant parts usable. It does require a gunsmith to throat the barrel since it comes unthroated from Kart. The reason is to allow for accurate fitting of the barrel to the application. I mainly use 124 cast bullets so it was necessary.

Because of my load, I replaced the recoil spring with a 12 pound which pretty much fixed any ejection problems.

Very satisfying project and easy to switch back to 38 super if needed. FYI, the super mags work great with 9mm. However, I bought a couple of Springfield style mags. Both work great, I will probably buy more super mags when I buy more.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
TransformerToys....

That what a 1911 is...

Gun #1 is a 1969 .38 Super with BarSto barrel and BoMar sights...it is good for 3" at 50... The second barrel is a 5" 9mm ROTO 4M from SARCO...a whole $45.00. Dropped right in and runs 100%. The .38 Super barrel on this gun will also handle 9x23 Winchester and 9mm Largo. Normal sping rate for the Super is 18.5 and this also runs the 9mm with no problem. When shooting 9x23 it is replaced with a 24# Wolf. I also run a Kings Recoil Buffer and heavy duty recoil spring in all my 1911s.

Gun #2 is a 70s vintage Combat Commander. It is set up with two BarSto match barrels in 9mm and Super...and again the 9x23 and 9mm Largo will function from the Super barrel with just a heavier spring. The .22 Conversion Unit is a Pachmayer/Peters Stahl and shoots like a match gun.

Gun #3 is a lot of things... Started out life as a 1986 Super Elite. Has both the original Series 70 .38 Super barrel that was refit with a solid match bushing and a matching Series 70 9mm barrel that I bought off eBay. It also has a dedicated Colt 9x23 barrel as well a 7" SARCO ROTO 4M barrel that also runs 9x23. I have the 7" barrel in a Combat Elite side. There is a 60s vintage Colt .22 Conversion unit that shoots great. This frame also gets plugged into a MechTech .38 Super Carbine Conversion that will also run 9x23 Winchester.

Gun #4 is a 1951 9mm Commander with a bought off eBay drop it in the gun barrel...this is 50' with the dropped in Super barrel..

This is a friends gun...it is a 9mm I believe that had a Nowlin drop-in .38 Super barrel put in. This group was shot offhand at 10 yards...

This is his second gun...a new XSE Commander in Super with a Nowlin 9mm barrel and Fusion night sights...also an excellent shooter.

I did one just like it for a girlfriend of mine and in the first 500+ rounds of 9mm it never once failed to cycle with whatever spring Colt uses...

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well this setup didn't work for me :(
With 9mm barrel in, I tried some cycling with snap caps and the extractor
does not grab the round enough to eject. The round to be ejected just sits
in the chamber preventing the following round to chamber. I tried the extractor
test by removing the slide and placing the round in extract position but there is too big a gap for the extractor to hold the 9mm round. Do I need to take the gun to a smith or is this something I can easily fix at home? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Have never had this problem with any of the Super to 9mm conversions I've done but I have read of a few others that have... All you need to do is tweak your extractor.

If you know how to strip the slde it is easy enough. Once out it should have a slight bend to it.. If you don't know what it should look like I would advise getting the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual from Brownells. Once you know what the extractor should look like both from a tension and bevel on the extractor hook basis then the fix just needs a small file, vice and a small hammer...

I had to tune the extractor on a friends Defender right out of the box.. When we pulled the thing it was dead straight. Whoever put it in at the factory had to know it was wrong...

And before you do this, try cycling some live ammo in a safe place as your snap caps may have the wrong rim diameter or the body of the round too small allowing the snap cap to fall off the extractor. Or just take it to the range and shoot it. I've had some snap cap over the years that would not work in a gun that always ran live ammo fine.

Bob

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My Colt XSE .38 Super Lightweight Commander with Nowlin Winchester 9x23 barrel.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
One as to use a completely different slide, as in a Delta 10mm slide, to run the 9x25. From what I have read it is like the .357 SIG...a PITA to reload and where do you find brass. All this for maybe an extra 100 fps an more muzzle blast and recoil...

It is too bad that the 9x23 was so mismarketed by Colt...that is one great round.

Bob

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Dillon 9x25 so I can't give you a comparison. The Winchester 9x23 fires a 125 gr. bullet at a nominal 1450 fps. My personal experience with Winchester factory ammo is that I get 1450+ fps with both the 125 gr. Silvertip and 124 gr. Soft Point from the 4.25" barrel of my Commander. It uses a .900" long case (same length as the .38 Super) and has an operating pressure of 40,000 CUP.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
The 9x23 is the same oal as the Super but is stronger in the base to prevent case blowout at higher operating pressures. The latter was a problem for competitive shooters who upped pressures on the Super to make major. The extra brass in the base reduces the amount of powder that can be loaded but allows for higher pressures with what is there and so the increased velocity.

Don't know how it does with heavier bullets like the 147 gr. or heavier anyone here try those in the 9x23?

9x25 Dillon is a 10mm necked down to a 9mm. Not sure I see the point personally. It's been around 4 or 5 years and few have heard of it. .38 Casull interests me a bit, but again it joins a long list of propriety rounds that seem promising. Nice to tinker with though, if you tinker.

tipoc

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
From what I have read the only 147 that can be used in the 9x23 is the Hornady because it has a boat tail design. In the others the base of the bullet starts to swell the web and one has chambering problems...

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bob,
Thanks for the input. After messing around with the Commander for some time, I'm pretty sure the problem is with the current ejector on the frame. I've tweaked the extractor now to the point where it grabs the round firmly. However, my ejector is the older "snub" nosed one and as I cycle the slide back to full recoil, the round is pulled back by the extractor nicely but the ejector nose is too short to engage/push the round out so the round just sits in the chamber. I've tried with snap caps and live rounds with same results.

So I'm thinking of ordering one of those extended ejectors from Midway but wanted to ask if ejectors are the same length between Government and Commander models. Midway website does not specify so just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.