1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,323 Posts
TransformerToys....

That what a 1911 is...

Gun #1 is a 1969 .38 Super with BarSto barrel and BoMar sights...it is good for 3" at 50... The second barrel is a 5" 9mm ROTO 4M from SARCO...a whole $45.00. Dropped right in and runs 100%. The .38 Super barrel on this gun will also handle 9x23 Winchester and 9mm Largo. Normal sping rate for the Super is 18.5 and this also runs the 9mm with no problem. When shooting 9x23 it is replaced with a 24# Wolf. I also run a Kings Recoil Buffer and heavy duty recoil spring in all my 1911s.

Gun #2 is a 70s vintage Combat Commander. It is set up with two BarSto match barrels in 9mm and Super...and again the 9x23 and 9mm Largo will function from the Super barrel with just a heavier spring. The .22 Conversion Unit is a Pachmayer/Peters Stahl and shoots like a match gun.

Gun #3 is a lot of things... Started out life as a 1986 Super Elite. Has both the original Series 70 .38 Super barrel that was refit with a solid match bushing and a matching Series 70 9mm barrel that I bought off eBay. It also has a dedicated Colt 9x23 barrel as well a 7" SARCO ROTO 4M barrel that also runs 9x23. I have the 7" barrel in a Combat Elite side. There is a 60s vintage Colt .22 Conversion unit that shoots great. This frame also gets plugged into a MechTech .38 Super Carbine Conversion that will also run 9x23 Winchester.

Gun #4 is a 1951 9mm Commander with a bought off eBay drop it in the gun barrel...this is 50' with the dropped in Super barrel..

This is a friends gun...it is a 9mm I believe that had a Nowlin drop-in .38 Super barrel put in. This group was shot offhand at 10 yards...

This is his second gun...a new XSE Commander in Super with a Nowlin 9mm barrel and Fusion night sights...also an excellent shooter.

I did one just like it for a girlfriend of mine and in the first 500+ rounds of 9mm it never once failed to cycle with whatever spring Colt uses...

Bob

· Registered
3,323 Posts
Have never had this problem with any of the Super to 9mm conversions I've done but I have read of a few others that have... All you need to do is tweak your extractor.

If you know how to strip the slde it is easy enough. Once out it should have a slight bend to it.. If you don't know what it should look like I would advise getting the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual from Brownells. Once you know what the extractor should look like both from a tension and bevel on the extractor hook basis then the fix just needs a small file, vice and a small hammer...

I had to tune the extractor on a friends Defender right out of the box.. When we pulled the thing it was dead straight. Whoever put it in at the factory had to know it was wrong...

And before you do this, try cycling some live ammo in a safe place as your snap caps may have the wrong rim diameter or the body of the round too small allowing the snap cap to fall off the extractor. Or just take it to the range and shoot it. I've had some snap cap over the years that would not work in a gun that always ran live ammo fine.

Bob

· Registered
3,323 Posts
One as to use a completely different slide, as in a Delta 10mm slide, to run the 9x25. From what I have read it is like the .357 SIG...a PITA to reload and where do you find brass. All this for maybe an extra 100 fps an more muzzle blast and recoil...

It is too bad that the 9x23 was so mismarketed by Colt...that is one great round.

Bob

· Registered
3,323 Posts
From what I have read the only 147 that can be used in the 9x23 is the Hornady because it has a boat tail design. In the others the base of the bullet starts to swell the web and one has chambering problems...

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.