1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is needed to convert from a full length guide rod to the original 1911 design? I have a Kimber compact w/alum frame. Not only do I want to make the pistol lighter, but I hate looking for that little L-shaped rod when I just want to take down my piece.

The pistol has a 4" bbl. I guess I'll need the short guide rod and plug. Do I use the existing springs? Also, the slide lacks that little groove into which the gubmint type plug tooth fits. What do I do about that?

I'd prefer to have a lighter piece, but I REALLY want to dispense with requiring special tools to take down my pistol. Any other options?

Byron

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
With your gun it’s probably impossible. You can’t just swap out parts on the compact Kimber’s like you can on a full size 1911. Compact Kimber’s use a bull barrel, which would prevent the use of a barrel bushing. That’s assuming the slide could even be converted to accept a barrel bushing, which I doubt. The slide is shorter than a Commander slide, so even if the barrel was replaced (or altered) and the slide was milled out to accept a barrel bushing and spring plug the parts would probably have to be fabricated from scratch. The bushing and spring plug would have to be shorter than those on a Commander are. And then, would the gun work reliably? Like I said, probably impossible. Sorry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang. So, what your telling me is that I NEED to go get my bad self another pistol? I'll go tell the wife that you said it was OK. We were married last week, and haven't had a honeymoon, but I'm sure she'll understand.

Byron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts