1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How crazy is it for me to get .22 and .460 rowland kits for my grand raptor II and convert between them? I'd use .22 to get a lot of practice in, the .45 for general use/carry, and .460 for back up when hog hunting.

Is this bad for the gun?

How much work is involved. Looking at the kits, it seems you just field strip and replace with the new parts...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I can't speak top the 460 but the .22LR is about three minutes. So far mine has been no problem, at all.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to carry a 10MM for duty requiring more than a .45. 'sides which, that's an excuse to get a new gun :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
"Every Darn day"

I've been doing it with my Kimber gold match for years,with out a problem. A dedicated .22 is a bit more accurate though, mmmm, or maybe a jarvis or kart conversion. "Beware of the one gun man." (not me though! :) )

AS I noted earlier, Corbon is now carrying .460 in Roland in 4 loadings, I think Georgia arms still carries some too.

Sorry Full-auto, Kimber4ever; Like Joe at;

http://www.realguns.com/archives/newarc.htm

My MIM original Kimber Gold match has shot around 1200 rounds of Rowland along with thousands of 22s through the conversion kit and tens of thousands of standard and +p ACPs, with zero gun related failures. Gosh , its still as fine as of a 1911 as any you own, who would have guessed!:scratch::biglaugh:

Ah, another satisfied Kimber owner!

Laser

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just bought a cheap Charles Daly to put my 22 kit on top. I just wanted to be able to shoot a lot off 22's at the range, then switch to my 45 without changing slides.

·
Registered
12 Posts
460 Rowland

The 460 Rowland kit is definitely not a 5 minute install. The spring is very hard to install and will have you cussin' in no time. Also, Clark recommends that you install it in only a few very sturdy 1911's. I've put mine in a Springfield which is one that Clark recommends. Go to their website to see the kit and recommendations:

www.clarkcustomguns.com

Available for . . .
Colt Government & Commander
Colt Gold Cup Government & Commander
Springfield Armory Government
Kimber Government
Norinco Government
Taurus Government
Sig Sauer Government
Smith & Wesson 1911

Reloading for this cartridge needs to be approached very carefully. Very small changes in recommended components will spike the pressure dramatically and it's already high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts