1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone out there can help me out... I'm wanting to be able to switch back and forth between .40S&W and 10mm on my Kimber Stainless (Series 1) .40S&W. I know I need a new ramped barrel, recoil spring and mags. Does anyone have specific recommendations for barrel (how is Ed Brown?), recoil spring (Wolf 20#?) and mags (Metalform 10mm 8 or 9 rounds or CMC)? Also, do I need to have a gunsmith fit the barrel or is this something I could do myself? Specific item brands and numbers would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did it through Kimber

Hello,
I had a .40 S&W Kimber Pro Carry (series I) a while back. Although I did not go the 10mm route, I did have Kimber's custom shop install a .38 super barrel, and then, with new mags, I had a switch gun:D . I eventually sold it to Richard Heinie, but it was a cool gun.

Anyway my point is that Kimber had the barrel, because they currently make a Heavy Duty Pro Carry in .38 Super, so it was simple. If your gun is a full size, I am not sure if they make a full size 10mm gun, but if they do, I'd have them fit one of their barrels. Turn around was only a weekand cost was reasonable.

Good luck,
Lenny

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm a big fan od Nowlin Barrels, But any of the major names will be excellent. Metalform mags work Just fine for me.. for spring I use a 20lb. for factory ammo plinking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
KIMBER IN 10MM

:) KIMBER JUST RAN A SMALL LOT OF CUSTOM 2 S.S FULLSIZE IN 10MM SO THERE SHOULD BE AVAILABLE BARRELS AND MAGS FROM KIMBER TO CONVERT YOUR 40 CAL. I HAVE ONE AND LIKE IT VERY MUCH , SUCH A NICE PISTOL RIGHT OUT THE BOX. HOPE THIS HELPS MATT

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Hello AZ Heat,
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure Ed Brown makes a ramped barrel in 10MM. In my Brownells Catalog there is an Ed Brown barrel for the Colt Delta that isn't ramped. Ed Brown did have ramped barrels for a Para in .40S&W, but I don't believe the Para ramp and the Kimber ramp are the same so having it reamed out to 10MM wouldn't help. While I certainly like Nowlin barrels too, colt45acp is right about Kimber making a 10MM now. They might be willing to fit one to your pistol, but with all their lawyers worried about liability leading to the series II firing pin safety I doubt it. I agree with aronj, go with a Nowlin barrel and ask them to fit it. Also get yourself an EGW Firing Pin Stop and think about a Cominolli Guide Rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts