1911Forum banner

Any converts out there?

• all I owned was Springfields, then I bought a Kimber, and think the Kimbers are superior guns.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • all I owned was Kimbers, then I bought a Springfield, and think the Springfields are superior guns.

Votes: 4 28.6%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody own Spingfields, then buy a Kimber and totally convert? What about the other way around?

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Don't like kimber 2's. Only owned SA's for 4 years. Bought my wife a Colt Special Combat 2 1/2 yrs ago. Bought a Colt Gunsite 4wks ago. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to sell everything ( except the comped longslide for 45 super ).Colt's haven't had one single failure in 4500+ rds that wasn't directly due to my reloads. This is still less than 10 total. Gunsite will be my evertyhing gun. Shoots 230's and 250's to poa/poi. Currently shoot bowling pins, steel, and now that I have an IDPA legal gun, plan on shooting that next spring. Also plan on limmited 10. Tracy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have had several Springfields over the years, and they all were good pistols (save one). I traded a friend a Sig 220 for an early model Kimber several years ago. It was accurate and reliable, but the slide failed to lock back at least half the time. I tried all kinds of magazines - same problem. I sold it a few months after I got it. I managed to get the Sig back from my buddy about six months ago. I won't be trading it off again. I have never had the desire to own another Kimber after that first one.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
squid8286 said:
I have had several Springfields over the years, and they all were good pistols (save one). I traded a friend a Sig 220 for an early model Kimber several years ago. It was accurate and reliable, but the slide failed to lock back at least half the time. I tried all kinds of magazines - same problem. I sold it a few months after I got it. I managed to get the Sig back from my buddy about six months ago. I won't be trading it off again. I have never had the desire to own another Kimber after that first one.
too bad you didn't know about this board then. Kimber had a short run of pistols with problematic slide stops. You were changing the wrong parts, it wasn't the magazines.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I owned my SA Mil-Spec and then bought 2 Kimbers, both pre-series II and both alot more expensive than the SA. They both shoot way better but that's to be expected with the difference in features. The reason I'd buy more Kimbers over SA's is the problems I'm having with the Mil-Spec. A lifetime warranty is great but you shouldn't have to keep sending the gun in!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Had Kimbers,bought a Springfield, POS, was treated like crap by them,still have the Kimbers,Springfield is gone at a loss after I fixed it's ills.Have looked at a few since that looked GOOD but I get that chill and just put it back.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have owned three Kimbers, and still own two. I think they are greatly overrated by the gun rags.

I have three Springfields at present.

I prefer the Springfields, and their accuracy is on par with the Kimbers.

A major part of that is that the customer service of SA is about the best in the industry.
Deb and Dave always take care of the problem, and satisfy the customer. Their attitude is without flaw.

If I were to purchase another factory 1911 it would be a Springfield.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I often hear Springers called loose, but I've handled three seperate mil-specs in the last few months, two very new and one about 4 years old, unfired (blocky, Brazil stamped frame on the latter) and two of them, one of the new ones and the 4 year old one, were custom-shop tight in the slide, and smoother than similarly tight Kimbers I've handled. They felt like a reasonably competent handfit. I'm not saying this because I'm biased one way or the other, but my observations don't fit with the "common wisdom", as it were.

As to the thread topic, I'm pretty evenly split. I don't often buy new 1911s with the intent of using them as they are, but for a 5" gun I'd go to SA first, and if I wanted a smaller 1911, I would (and recently, did) go to Kimber.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Owned Springfield the Kimber

I fall into the list as owning a Springfield, then a Kimber and I thought they were excellent guns. Until I tried a Wilson Combat, then I knew they are not even in the same class with Wilson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts