1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want as many reasons not to spend another $200 (the best difference I can find) on a CDP. So far the best reasons I can come up with are:
1. I plan on covering up the front-strap checkering with Hogue wooden fingergroove grips anyway.
2. I can spend the extra $200 on ammo (or tuition, even)

As the latter reason suggests, I don't have an excess of money, but for some reason I am determined to purchase one of these two handguns. I already have a Compact aluminum, which I enjoy immensely, but I yearn to carry a full-size again. And I also want it in stainless, but I do like the stainless slide and blued frame of the CDP. But anyway, let's ignore all of the nice touches of the CDP and please tell me why I should get the Custom Classic Stainless instead. Thanks

[This message has been edited by sam lowry (edited 12-09-2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get the Custom Stainless. Out of the box it will shoot fine. So will the Custom CDP. However, if you should decide to start building on that gun at a later date, stainless would be the preferred platform for a project gun. You will most likely want to swap: safeties (grip and thumb), mainspring housing, barrel, bushing, guide rod, springs, and internal mim parts with tool steel anyway. This could all be accomplished with an aluminum frame, I'm sure, but you would have to worry about aesthetically matching an existing melt job. After that you have to stick with finishes that are good on aluminum, where stainless gives you pretty much any option but a good classic bluing. It sounds to me like you already have your mind pretty fairly made up, but these would be the factors if I was deciding. You didn't mention a third choice, which is to buy both

·
Registered
287 Posts
I disagree (respectfully) with Aristotle. Get the CDP. You won't want to, or have to, do anything to it. You can't beat the melt down job on those! And, they function fine. And I wouldn't worry about the aluminum frame unless you're planning on shooting 2,000 rounds a week thru it.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by sam lowry:
I want as many reasons not to spend another $200 (the best difference I can find) on a CDP. So far the best reasons I can come up with are:
1. I plan on covering up the front-strap checkering with Hogue wooden fingergroove grips anyway.
2. I can spend the extra $200 on ammo (or tuition, even)

As the latter reason suggests, I don't have an excess of money, but for some reason I am determined to purchase one of these two handguns. I already have a Compact aluminum, which I enjoy immensely, but I yearn to carry a full-size again. And I also want it in stainless, but I do like the stainless slide and blued frame of the CDP. But anyway, let's ignore all of the nice touches of the CDP and please tell me why I should get the Custom Classic Stainless instead. Thanks

[This message has been edited by sam lowry (edited 12-09-2001).]
You are comparing apples to oranges guy. The Custom Stainless has a steel frame, plain sites, no checkering, no ambi-safety, no carry melt, no rosewood grips, and costs about $200 less.

But, go an decide to put any *ONE* of those options on your gun after the fact (except for the ambi safety and the grips), and it will cost you $200 for each feature. Ambi-safety and grips you can do yourself for ~$50 each.

For all those people saying CDPs are not a good buy...well, that is just BS. They aren't a good buy if you don't want any of the features they offer. If you want any one of them, its like getting 4 for the price of one.

If you don't like the Aluminum frame of the CDP, check out the Eclipse.

If you don't want to spend the extra $200, by all means don't. But if you want any of the major features of the CDP in the future, you *WILL* spend much more than that later on.

------------------
'In 1913, as he was imposing an income tax on this country (after the Supreme Court had declared Abraham Lincoln's income tax unlawful), Woodrow Wilson promised Americans that it would never go any higher than five percent, and that it would never affect anyone but the very wealthiest two percent of the population. Almost certainly this is where the observation first came from, that you can tell a politician is lying -- because his mouth is moving.' -- Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, Page 218.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sam

I will vote for the Stainless Custom. The main reason is the bottom of the line pistols from Kimber are the best value. Buying a more expensive pistol just gets you cosmetics or features of machining. The quality of the internal components is the same and so is the workmanship in assembling the pistol.

Since you already have a compact pistol, which is aluminum, stay with a steel frame in the full size. You will probably shoot it more and it will stand up to shooting longer, probably indefinately. Aluminum is great if you are going to carry a lot and shoot a little. But if you are going to shoot a lot, you want steel.

In addition to covering the checkering on the CDP, ultimatley you will probably change the sights. Personnally I do not like Kimber sights. But Kimbers night sights are notorious for going dim in a short amount of time. Which means you will send your slide back to Kimber at least once for replacement, before you change to a better sight. Why not stay with the plain black sight until you decide which improved sight you want. many makers now have versions that fit the Kimber slide cuts so why buy something else you are going to replace.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would say buy the full size stainless custom model. Then send the slide to Richard Heinie for his night sights. Then slap on some new grips. Get you some Wilson mags also. Then start shooting, as much as possible. On down the line this pistol will be easier to customize than the CDP.

Here's another idea: Try to shoot 100-150 rounds per week. Depending on where you buy your ammo, that is $30-$45 per week. You will be surprised how well you will shoot if you do this every week. Some people can't afford to shoot 500 -1000 rounds per week.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can't convince you to buy either....cause I bought both!

:D

But listen...about those finger groove grips...you're not really gonna put those on, are you? I think at one point someone here was trying to have a law passed that outlawed them...

;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a Custom Stainless (with factory night sights) a couple weeks ago. What a great shooter! I've shot many rounds of PMC hardball, Winchester SXT, and Federal Hydra-shok with zero problems. I had considered adjustable sights, but I'm glad I got the fixed night sights. The sights were set PERFECTLY right out of the box.

·
Banned
79 Posts
ALL STEEL BABY!!!

Don't get the CDP, I had one. It was fairly nice but not enough to justify 200 extra dollars.
The checkering was crap, trigger was crap, melt to too heavy IMO, and it's a CUSTOM with a plastic MSH.....

And don't listen to these guys about the wraparound grips:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Go for an Eclipse , All steel, No ambi-safety, night sights, plus a really great looking finsh.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I vote for the Custom Stainless II with night sights. I bought mine from www.sportingarms.com for $759 and love it. It is a great gun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I vote for the CDP. Have one, love it. Trust me, if you want the CDP and don't go the extra bucks now, you'll soon be saying to yourself, "gee, wish I had bought what I wanted". Then when you trade up, you'll take a drubbing on the deal.
Actually either way you can't go wrong and will end up with a nice unit. Keep the tuition going, study hard, get a good job, make big bucks and THEN buy whatever you want. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts