1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a Coonan .357 classic an frankly it’s in serious disarray. I have started the breakdown faze to replace many of the small parts, but the serious issue is the barrel. As I am learning, the parts are not easy to come by and I have yet to find a barrel...anywhere. Does anyone have a barrel or know where I can source one?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cant help with the barrel but you need to know which one you are looking for. The early Coonans had a swinging link like regular 1911 barrels and the later ones went to a linkless design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant help with the barrel but you need to know which one you are looking for. The early Coonans had a swinging link like regular 1911 barrels and the later ones went to a linkless design.
I believe it is the link-less design. I attempted to upload some pics, but not able to figure that out. From what I understand, the Coonan was found in a delapitated shed and had severed the punishment of the brackish water in our region. the barrel was so corroded. It took a while of soaking in Anti-rust solvent and after some chipping away, I was able to free it from the slide. I have been slowly taking it apart and replacing what pieces I can. I don’t think it will be in any sort of firing condition unless the barrel is replaced or at minimum, rebored (if that’s a thing) by a gunsmith.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Any part that is unique to a Coonan Classic is going to be hard to come by, and probably expensive. If the locking surfaces are ok, it's possible the barrel could be relined. Of more concern would be the slide machining. Coonan had to replace some when they developed cracks. They changed that particular machined cut from 90 degree corner to a slightly curved one to eliminate that problem. I can't be more specific as I just sent my Classic off to an acquaintance in AZ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any part that is unique to a Coonan Classic is going to be hard to come by, and probably expensive. If the locking surfaces are ok, it's possible the barrel could be relined. Of more concern would be the slide machining. Coonan had to replace some when they developed cracks. They changed that particular machined cut from 90 degree corner to a slightly curved one to eliminate that problem. I can't be more specific as I just sent my Classic off to an acquaintance in AZ.
Yeah I am having a very difficult time finding a barrel. I had taken it to a local gunsmith and he advised that the putting in the barrel has linley made it unsafe to fire, even if the rifling was redone.
He said that without knowing if the pitting had weakend the integrity of the barrel, he strongly discourages trying to use the current barrel.
I had found an online auction for a Classic, that comes with a spare barrel. I inquired to the site and they advised that they could pass my info on to the winning bidder in the hopes that they would reach out to sell the spare barrel.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am having a very difficult time finding a barrel. I had taken it to a local gunsmith and he advised that the putting in the barrel has linley made it unsafe to fire, even if the rifling was redone.
He said that without knowing if the pitting had weakend the integrity of the barrel, he strongly discourages trying to use the current barrel.
I had found an online auction for a Classic, that comes with a spare barrel. I inquired to the site and they advised that they could pass my info on to the winning bidder in the hopes that they would reach out to sell the spare barrel.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the Coonan to a local armor and he said the current barrel is too far gone to be repaired and is not safe to fire. He believes the pitting on the surface of the barrel may have weekend spots of the barrel and is not considered safe to fire in his opinion.
I have replaced nearly all the interior parts possible and will just need to keep looking for a barrel.

Other than the external extractor, it’s been gutted. Just need the barrel, mag, sights, and the extractor and it’ll be a full rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts