1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Compact in yesterday and it is a good bit smaller than my Classic to say the least. Only had time to shoot one mag through it so far and I didn't think the recoil was much worse than my edc which is a Colt Defender in 45acp. I intend on having this compact as my edc after I get some rounds through it and make sure it is reliable. also got to get some nicer grips.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Nice! I like those grips on the Classic.

You'd think with the amount of money a Coonan costs, they would have better grip options.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I would have thought by now they would have heard all of us complaining about their grips. Oh well, I won a set of grips from a grip maker and he is going to make me a pair for the Compact. I am going to sand and stain these and see if I can make them look better for now. The grips on the Classic are some cheap ones I got off ebay, I bought the Indian head nickels and mounted them in there myself. Not perfect but they work.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yeah, I would have thought by now they would have heard all of us complaining about their grips. Oh well, I won a set of grips from a grip maker and he is going to make me a pair for the Compact. I am going to sand and stain these and see if I can make them look better for now. The grips on the Classic are some cheap ones I got off ebay, I bought the Indian head nickels and mounted them in there myself. Not perfect but they work.
Sweet! Looks like you did a good job with those grips.

I'm surprised to hear the recoil isn't much worse with the compact model. But that's good to hear.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is worse, but not really any worse than a 3 inch in 45acp. It will change some after I get some rounds through it but it isn't really terrible.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
shoot it well pawpaw - I know you've been anxious for it to arrive - suggest that when you "do" the grips you use a really dark stain (how many coats to make 'em as dark as you like) and then a few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish

too many pistols to dedicate more shooting time to my new classic but I still like it

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Whisky. I hadn’t thought of the oil to finish them off with. Keep us posted on the new Classic. That thing looks awesome in black.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Congratulations. Have wanted a Coonan for quite awhile and expect to order a Compact in SS along with the Coonn black checkered Alumagrips.

Rick

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a guy on facebook that got me the Compact for a really good price, $1375 total to my ffl. He could get the black one for just over $1600 but I already had the stainless Classic so I went that route.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Great price on that! Staying away from the black Duracoat. Having had spray coated guns in the past that just chip and scratch off, I stay clear. The only 3 coatings I trust because they are chemically part of the actual outer surface of the gun are IonBond, DWs Duty Treatment, and Severns Hard Hat.

Rick

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
The only 3 coatings...are..
you've left out the best finish of them all, Rick - Hard Chrome

I'm liking the black duracoat on my classic - I don't holster nor treat my pistols roughly and the finish is working out just fine :rock:

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
you've left out the best finish of them all, Rick - Hard Chrome

I'm liking the black duracoat on my classic - I don't holster nor treat my pistols roughly and the finish is working out just fine :rock:
I must have gone brain dead. Of course you're spot on, Whisky. There IS no better finish than HC. Have a Baer Heavyweight Monolith in it.

image.jpg

I was going to ask you how well the Duracoat was holding up and you beat me to the punch. Glad to hear it's working for you. Have a picture of it to share? How's she shooting?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Colt Government in 38 Super and it is hard chromed but it isn't near as shiny as your Monolith. That thing looks great. Another one that is on my list.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
I have a Colt Government in 38 Super and it is hard chromed but it isn't near as shiny as your Monolith. That thing looks great. Another one that is on my list.
Thanks, PawPaw, it's my pride and joy.

Another .38 Super guy? Me, too! Have a Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 Super. Sure is a great cartridge.

Everyone zones in on the Coonan 'cause it's the only practical .357 Magnum available in a semi-auto handgun. That truly is enough...for most but not me and, I suspect, not you. It's also the "LOOK". You know, that slab sided, no nonsense, don't mess with me demeanor. The Monolith has it and so does the Coonan. They're first cousins of a sort. So I have to have one, plain and simple.

So, in the next week or so I'll be buying a Compact Coonan in SS. It'll stay SS for at least a while (meaning at least as long as it takes me to verify its reliable for daily conceal carrying). We'll see what happens, if anything, to the finish after that. It'll be carried in a pancake canted OWB black elephant holster, custom made for it by Rob Biancheri of BiancheriUSA. It'll have new grips, initially one of the black checkered aluminum Coonan grips. I've noticed that most if not all of you Coonaniacs dislike the butt ugly standard grips. I'm with ya but I think there's even a larger problem with them....their shape. Was Sponge Bob Square Pants the designer? Holy Christmas! Someone's gotta do something about that.

I finally stopped spying on you folks and am getting ready to plunge into this pool.

Rick

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey. I was looking at the Monolith but went with the Compact, for now. I really do love the slab side look and all the good reports I read about the Les Baers. Haven't read anything bad yet. I ended up with 3 in 38 Super, the Colt Government, I also had a Colt Comander 100 years of service that I bought the whole top half for in 38 Super, and I have an EAA Witness Elite Match in 38 Super that is a tack driver right out of the box. Love that round.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Milan. Your grips look a lot better than they do when we get them. I am staining mine now, well I started yesterday and will keep doing it until I get to the shade I like.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
..I was going to ask you how well the Duracoat was holding up and you beat me to the punch. Glad to hear it's working for you. Have a picture of it to share? How's she shooting?
yep, love showing pics of our pistols. actually I need to get out and shoot it more but I'm an equal opportunity shooter and it has to wait it's turn, just like the others - here's my pic

here's the seller's pic (comes with 3 mags)

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
I feel that the duracoat finish on the coonan sort of "de-horns" the sharp edges (that I experienced with my previous classic and compact) - haven't noticed any real "cutting edges" on this one

and here's a pic of my Wife's Makarov that I had Hard Chromed

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Hey. I was looking at the Monolith but went with the Compact, for now. I really do love the slab side look and all the good reports I read about the Les Baers. Haven't read anything bad yet. I ended up with 3 in 38 Super, the Colt Government, I also had a Colt Comander 100 years of service that I bought the whole top half for in 38 Super, and I have an EAA Witness Elite Match in 38 Super that is a tack driver right out of the box. Love that round.
And I thought I was into .38 Super! Ha! Nice collection of Supers, PawPaw. I'd like to get a Mono someday in Super too.

Rick

1 - 20 of 78 Posts