1911Forum banner

Coonan Customer Service

28K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  p269 
#1 ·
Been trying to contact Coonan for the last 3 weeks called emailed, left messages. Does anyone know whats going on? Thanks

#43 · (Edited)
Dang, I'm sorry to see all this go down. Coonan was quick to replace the slide on my Classic when it developed that interior crack, and no lick of trouble since then. I know that a few parts are interchangeable with regular 1911 parts, but I have a sneaking feeling that the parts most likely to break are unique to the Coonan.

#44 ·
Dang, I'm sorry to see all this go down. Coonan was quick to replace the slide on my Classic when it developed that interior crack, and no lick of trouble since then. I know that a few parts are interchangeable with regular 1911 parts, but I have a sneaking feeling that the parts most likely to break are unique to the Coonan.
Like the barrel bushing?
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=987602

I had mine break after probably 1,000 rounds.

So grateful I was able to get my money back even after 8 months of waiting. Luckily I had so many email exchanges with Coonan as evidence to forward to bank of america....

#48 ·
The website is still active, but from everything I have seen posted about them says that they are not a viable company. The message on the front page of their website is the same one they posted back in October or November with no update.

It sure would be nice if a company would buy out all their pistol stuff and plans when the liquidation happens and start manufacturing them under a new name. The basic design is sound but the company sure isn't.:eek:

Cabot, are you listening? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

#49 · (Edited)
I found this on another site - not sure how accurate this is but maybe offers some relief for those of us who own a coonan and intend to shoot it !

The following parts of an M-1911 are the same as those in a Coonan:

Barrel Bushing
Disconnector
Firing Pin Stop
Hammer
Hammer Pin
Hammer Strut
Hammer Strut Pin
Magazine Catch
Magazine Catch Lock
Magazine Catch Spring
Plunger Tube
Plunger Tube Spring
Plunger Tube Slide Pin
Plunger Tube Thumb Safety Pin
Sear
Sear Pin
Sear Spring
Thumb Safety
Grip Screw
Grip Screw Bushing

#50 ·
I tried calling them again this morning. The phone is back in service and there is now a recorded message. You are unable to leave a message. The recorded message states they are in the process of a company restructure that is taking longer than expected, and they are not returning any customer requests until the restructure is completed.

#54 ·
763.786.1720 from the website?

I tried, "the number you are trying to reach is out of service"

whatever is going on at coonan, whenever the truth is fully revealed it will make one hell of a documentary

the real issue nagging me is shoot these beautiful babies or keep em cozy on their thrones in the safe

#51 ·
Thanks for the update, glimmer of hope with this horribly managed company. While I would never buy another thing from them again, it would be good if my Conan can still get warranty repair's if needed.

#56 ·
So it's been over a year now that we started this thread. What's everyone doing with their Coonan's? I ended up selling my Classic. In the end the lack of mags and any sort of parts availability did me in. I put it up on Gunbroker and got a nice price for it. I have money down on a 6" Springfield 10MM TRP that will be replacing it shortly. The 10MM offers the same or better ballistics, the TRP fit and finish is far better than Coonan, and I can buy mags and anything else I need from an endless selection of vendors.

#61 · (Edited)
I loved the Coonan and put thousands of rounds through it. Always drew a crowd at the range.

But after having the slide crack, barrel bushing crack, and trigger become extremely loose, I didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling owning a gun that would no longer be able to be fixed down the road.

Add the mag release to the list. This coonan owner is SOL at the moment:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1003536

#59 · (Edited)
Sunk cost bad trade, no different than buying a stock which goes bad on you, and this is a small loss as things go...I hope no one was naive enough to think they were coming back. I'll shoot mine till it dies, shoots nice, after that it will make a very attractive paperweight and commemorator of my US-Navel Service - I got the Navy Camo finish and love it! - LOL! I don't need the money, don't need to sell it.

No interest in 10mm, yep both rounds are ballistically very similar and both offer wide ranges of power factors, but a 10mm without a comp isn't going to shoot near as well as even the uncomped Coonan (with similar PFs at the high-end). It was designed around the 357M and the reason why it was such a unique and great shooting gun. Alas, the owner was bad at business, his second bankrupcy. Big mistake when they went all in too fast with too many other calibers. An incremental approach may have worked better and even if it didn't, they might have been able to stay in business.

#62 ·
Alas, the owner was bad at business, his second bankrupcy. Big mistake when they went all in too fast with too many other calibers. An incremental approach may have worked better and even if it didn't, they might have been able to stay in business.
Agree 100%. Not to mention the price point of their 10mm offerings was significantly more than other companies. Those were going to be a hard sell in an already saturated market. Should have just stuck with 357 mag for the time being.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.