1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures that they could post, of the Gunsite Cooper 80? I have the Handguns magazine in which the pistol was featured, but I thought someone here might actually have one, and could post some pics. Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Looks like a fairly straightforward, no-nonsense sidearm. Is that grip safety disabled? Looks pinned down to me...

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
22,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the grip safety is contoured to the frame, and pinned. I'm performing the same mod to the grip safety (and hammer . . .) on my Colt '91, and was looking for additional photos. Is it legal to scan and post a magazine article?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is it legal to scan and post a magazine article?

Probably not a very good idea. Never mind. I can't afford the piece anyhow.

What are the legal ramifications of pinning the grip safety on a carry piece? Seems to me this would not be a very prudent marketing decision on the part of Gunsite. Lawsuit bait.

·
Super Moderator
22,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the grip safety is depressed ("off") when the gun is intentionally fired, there is no liability problem with an intentional shooting. If you shoot someone accidentally, it might be suggested that you were something of a loose cannon for having disabled a safety device, but the grip safety itself would still play no part, as any time the gun is held in a firing grip, the safety is (should be) automatically disengaged.

·
Super Moderator
22,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still working on my '91, and the frame/grip safety is the part that I keep putting off. I figure the hammer will have about two serrations left, after it is bobbed. Since the hammer spur is not really needed (I use mine only when I dry-fire), I don't think a radical shortening is a big deal. The part that concerns me is the lack of protection for the cocked hammer; one of the things that makes cocked 'n' locked so safe is the fact that the grip safety completely protects the hammer. I might end up with more of a short, M1911-style grip safety, rather than completely removing the tang.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts