1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read an article on by Jeff Cooper. The Yankee Fist

In speaking of the 1911, he says "In Commander configuration -- slightly reduced in bulk, slim-lined, dehorned and featuring high-visibility fixed sights -- it still stands without rival".

He's "the man", right? So how come so many are still singing the virtues of the full-size 1911? It seems like everybody should have gone to a Commander by now...?

Mike

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I don't know how old that article was but Cooper has since said the 5" is the way to go. Basically he said that if he had to have full weight (Combat Commander) he wanted full length also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Michael_Aos said:
I recently read an article on by Jeff Cooper. The Yankee Fist

In speaking of the 1911, he says "In Commander configuration -- slightly reduced in bulk, slim-lined, dehorned and featuring high-visibility fixed sights -- it still stands without rival".

He's "the man", right? So how come so many are still singing the virtues of the full-size 1911? It seems like everybody should have gone to a Commander by now...?

Mike
For carry I agree with Col. Cooper. Not on the Colt part but on the size.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's in the G&A 2004 Annual.

I did a quick search and it appears to have been first published in Feb '03 G&A.

Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The article is a retrospective look at 1911's in Guns and Ammo. It is only a few months old. Cooper says alot of things. It doesn't mean that everyone runs out and does what he says.

EDIT: Mike must have been typing when I was, since he beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Lt. Col. (ret.) Cooper has said elsewhere in print, several times, that the (lightweight or original) Commander format of the 1911A1 is the ideal carry gun, due to its combining the virtues of adequate caliber (in .45ACP), compact size (the muzzle doesn't poke into the chair seat when you sit down) and light weight.

The full size 1911A1 gives a bit more velocity to the bullet, admittedly, and Clint Smith opines that ALL 1911s should have 5 inch barrels.
Cooper gave some polite recognition of that opinion in one of his recent Commentaries, in fact.

Personally, I don't think the difference between a 4.25" barrel and a 5" barrel is too great, in terms of bullet performance, and either a full size or Commander size 1911 can be made as fully reliable as any man-made machine is capable of being. Choose what you like!

Smaller sizes do have more potential problems, though.

Best.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
He was talking about the Commander, which is a lightweight pistol. The Combat Commander is the steel version. So yes, I don't think it probably gets better for carry than a Commander as the Colonel has said.

He has also said that the 5" is the way to go for a service pistol.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think he's a proponent of the lightweight Commander or the all steel 5", he sees no use for the Combat Commader. Everyone has their likes and dislikes when it comes to guns, but with as much experience as he has its a good idea to at least think about what he's saying or maybe even try it out to see if it works for you. I'd trust his opinion over the opinion of many people but in the end the final opinion I have to go with on what works for me is MY opinion.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
...and I've gone Commander, not "commando".

Just thought I better clear that up.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Steel frame Gov't model/LW Commander: If you look up "win-win situation" in the dictionary, a picture of those two models side by side should be what you find.....of course, a LW Gov't or steel Commander aren't too shabby either. :)

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I will certainly defer to Mr. Cooper on this as he has seen more people shooting 1911s' than I have. I also agree with Mr. Dover on a Lightweight Gov't such as the Springfield if you think a Commander will be less reliable. I even like the Combat Commander although I tend to agree with Mr. Cooper that it's not as good a choice as the other two depending on the situation.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
FWIW, I started carrying a Commander in 1970. It was later modified to fire double action, first round, and the frame feed ramp was milled out and a stainless one installed. I was an LEO and my collateral duty was firearms training officer and rangemaster. I fired that pistol a LOT during my career and when I retired, I sold it to my partner and he carried it until he retired...2 years ago. I do not remember ever having a malfunction attributable to the Commander in all those years. I fired full power street loads for qualification and LSWC for practice and training. Great pistol! IMHO, Cooper is right.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Col. Cooper agrees with me. :D

My first handgun was a Combat Commander in 9mm. It was years later before I ever got around to a 5" 1911.

Now my "go-to" carry gun is a customized Colt LW Stainless Commander. For the firepower and ergonomics, they are darned hard to beat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts