1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
28 yr veteran on the job and still doesn't know gun safety! Wow, my kid checks em when we're at the gun show or pawn shop cause why?? Every gun is loaded till you check it and even then you handle it as if it were

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Without turning this into a cop bashing thread, I believe he should receive equal treatment. This just proves that even with experience and training, things can happen such as this. Complacency will get you killed. Doesn't matter if you're a police officer, bus driver or insurance salesman.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Remember, most cops are not gun people. It's usually something they're borderline afraid of, and a chore to carry around on their duty belt. Of course, they may show it off once in a while - and the result is what you can expect from someone who isn't firearms savvy.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I've never worked in a police station that didn't have a random hole it in somewhere.
I agree. Or an indoor firing range without one in the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
The cop should be treated just like an other citizen. I applaud the CCDL's efforts to make the officer responsible for his actions

·
Registered
6,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
little doubt he'll be disciplined , as he should be

guess it would depend what kind of cop he was (any history of being an idiot before this ) before I'd say they should ruin his career over it

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Welp, that's one way to get some paid time off for the holidays!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
This sounds a whole lot like "familiarity breeds contempt".

Presuming the report is accurate on the full incident, I agree that he should be
treated like any other citizen and have the proper charges brought against him.
If it costs his job, it may save someone else's life.

The title seems correct; negligence! :rock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to all those protesters. You be surprised at how little some cops know about gun safety, and safe handling. Why is a gun passed around in a store with people all around. Just the thought of him checking the gun being unloaded, by aiming at the floor and pulling the trigger is crazy! I laugh when I see some episodes of "cops" when they take a gun from a perp, and one of them doesn't know how to remove the magazine, or how to even lock the slide back.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think they said he was a 28 year old, veteran, of the police department. It is a weird discharge, but I have been a witness to far worse. Sometimes people have brain farts. As long as he was the only one injured and everyone else is alright, I say lesson learned, and I would hope that would go for anybody.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just goes to prove just because you carry a handgun while making a living does not mean your a gun guy. Most leo's today are well educated , some just lack the common sense needed. Most have had a group of those at this department.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
The cop should be treated just like an other citizen. I applaud the CCDL's efforts to make the officer responsible for his actions
With all of the training, etc., shouldn't he be held to a higher standard? I always hear about LEOs being held to higher standards for the justification of benefits (for example, in California LEOs are allowed to purchase non-roster firearms for personal use because of this higher standard), so shouldn't the penalties be higher in instances like this?

·
Registered
363 Posts
It is a very serious issue, and I don't want to try to make it out to not be. I am a very good driver and have had training but that doesn't mean I can't have a wreck. If I do and no one is injured but me, should I never be allowed to drive again? Guns are way more deadly at times, obviously, but it depends on the situation. The officer clearly lost his mind for a second, but does that justify loosing all privileges? Again, as long as nobody else was injured.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts