1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering is anyone out there has ever used all copper bullets. I know Barnes makes a line, but at $1 each, I'm not sure how much practice shooting/sighting in I'll get in with those. Magtech also make a 200gr Solid Copper Hollow Points... I think 100 bullets cost about $48.00.

The primary reason I am looking to all copper bullets is that I have recently discovered the .460 Rowland cartridge. At 1200+fps velocities, the hollowpoints I am currently using (185gr/200gr/230gr XTP, Gold Dots and Golden Sabres and 250gr XTPs) don't seem to be holding together well after impact. I know they're not meant for >1000fps speeds and were designed to work most effectively at standard .45 ACP speeds. I'm planning on a boar hunting (handgun) trip next year and would like to work up a nice load that won't disintegrate on impact, or lose its mass traveling through a hog (or whitetail).

Questions:

1. Since copper isn't as dense as lead, will a bullet design of the same weight be longer (and will I have to seat the projectile deeper)?

2. Can I use the same reloading data for the same weight (lead) JHP or FMJ bullets for the copper bullets?

3. Besides Barnes and Magtech, are there any other bullet manufacturers that make all copper bullets (in .451)?

4. Can you suggest an alternative bullet for my purposes? (btw, the 250gr XTP is about as big as I want to go... with my current loading, its sitting on top of the powder charge without compression)

TIA
Nordic

·
Registered
555 Posts
Questions:

1. Since copper isn't as dense as lead, will a bullet design of the same weight be longer (and will I have to seat the projectile deeper)?

2. Can I use the same reloading data for the same weight (lead) JHP or FMJ bullets for the copper bullets?

3. Besides Barnes and Magtech, are there any other bullet manufacturers that make all copper bullets (in .451)?

4. Can you suggest an alternative bullet for my purposes? (btw, the 250gr XTP is about as big as I want to go... with my current loading, its sitting on top of the powder charge without compression)
#1; Yes, you will have to seat deeper.

#2; No, Barnes offers specific data for their bullet. If you are useing them go with the proper data.

#3; Not that I`m aware of.

#4 Try a 260 or 300 gr Nosler Partition. They are lead cored but are very deep penitrating and should work well for your applications.
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=19&t=45

·
Registered
539 Posts
Only going to add one point...bullet design is going to have an effect on the length as well. Round nose vs. hollow point, etc.

For example, a solid round nose and hollow point of 230 grs, would have to be different length if the construction materials were the same. And an edit to further clarify that...if the bullet profile is the same.

In a rifle I've been dealing with, longer bullets for same weight would help, as the lead cored bullets I have don't allow enough neck tension when seated out far enough to get some semblance of accuracy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts