1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I was inspecting some of my NIB firearms that I haven't gotten around to shooting and noticed that the barrel of my NIB Colt Mustang has either copper fouling or rust inside of it. I ran a dry patch through the barrel and the only substance on the patch was oil, which leads me to believe it is copper fouling. Should I remove the copper fouling? I ask because I probably won't get around to shooting this pistol for a few months. I'm aware that some are okay with a little copper fouling, I'm not sure I'm in that camp.

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I would also oil it and not worry. Interesting the test round did that though. Of course it would have been a brand new barrel.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
New barrel with rough surface - jacketed bullets will leave copper in the bore. It's perfectly normal. After some rounds go through it the bore will smooth out some. Do you shoot mostly jacketed or cast lead bullets? If you want to strip the copper out you need a good copper solvent - J.B. or Sweet's 7.62 solvent are the best I have found. Don't leave either one in the bore for very long. Let it soak for 15 minutes and then get run patches through until they come out clean (no green streaks on the patches). Repeat until the patches come out clean. Lightly oil and run one clean patch down the bore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New barrel with rough surface - jacketed bullets will leave copper in the bore. It's perfectly normal. After some rounds go through it the bore will smooth out some. Do you shoot mostly jacketed or cast lead bullets?
I shoot mostly jacketed.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Then you will want to buy some copper solvent. The problem with heavy copper fouling in the bore is that it stops any oil from getting to the steel but moisture can get under it and pitting can start.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then you will want to buy some copper solvent. The problem with heavy copper fouling in the bore is that it stops any oil from getting to the steel but moisture can get under it and pitting can start.
What do you recommend? I was thinking of purchasing Sweet's 7.62.

Sorry, I didn't see your recommendations.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yes, copper fouling from the test firing. Up to you if you remove it, I have a bit of OCD and remove it completely when new and every time shoot. In my experience they smooth up and stop fouling sooner.
Sweets works but that's pretty light, Shooter Choice or anything with a bit of ammonia would work too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, copper fouling from the test firing. Up to you if you remove it, I have a bit of OCD and remove it completely when new and every time shoot. In my experience they smooth up and stop fouling sooner.
Sweets works but that's pretty light, Shooter Choice or anything with a bit of ammonia would work too.
Thanks!:rock:

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
...I have a bit of OCD and remove it completely when new and every time shoot......
That's actually more than just a "bit" of OCD.

LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I believe markm was referring to the copper fouling in your pistol being pretty light and hinting that Sweets 7.62 is a "serious" bore cleaner.

You can ruin a gun bore if you leave it too long or improperly remove/neglect to clean the bore after the use of Sweets - that said, it is apart of my breakin procedure for barrels and the only bore cleaner I use when my guns need more than a field expedient/bore snake cleaning - flush it out with a non-methanol carb cleaner and then lube it with CLP, (Break-Free).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts