1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud owner of a new Rock Island M1911 A1-FS. The barrel looks like it has copper fouling? Not sure - see pic. I only put 12 rounds in it so far. I did clean it with Hoppes 9 and a copper remover.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Carbon Automotive design

·
Registered
25,282 Posts
You are always going to see some of that, especially on a new gun. It is nothing to really worry about. And it will clean out with a good bore scrubber and a proper bronze brush.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I did scrub with a bronze brush and Hoppes No. 9 - guess I just need to keep at it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
RIA barrels are not the best, mine started rusting, and it got cleaned after each range trip. Don't scrub to hard, you will wear the lands down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'll use a nylon brush. Did not know that about RIA barrels. Everything I've read about them (the M1911 firearms) was very good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I worked in my unit's armsroom, (over 40 years ago), virtually all the raggedy, worn-out, old 1911A1s had that in their barrels. Since those pistols were over 35 years old by then, I figure that it hadn't hurt a doggoned thing. I haven't noticed any issues with it in my personal pistols, either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I worked in my unit's armsroom, (over 40 years ago), virtually all the raggedy, worn-out, old 1911A1s had that in their barrels. Since those pistols were over 35 years old by then, I figure that it hadn't hurt a doggoned thing. I haven't noticed any issues with it in my personal pistols, either.
Thanks I feel better!

·
Premium Member
14,903 Posts
The harder and more often you scrub the shorter the barrel will last. Shoot more clean the bore less. The bullets do a pretty good job of keeping the bore clean, but always leave a little for the next bullet.

LOG

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
You are using a brush made mostly of copper to remove traces of copper from your barre. I still use brass brushes along with nylon and even stainless steel but I quit trying to get my barrel spotless after I left boot camp. A bore mop and Ed's Red is my go-to for barrels most of the time. Log Man is right on topic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I shoot a lot of coated bullets, so I will run a little Ballistol on a patch down the barrel before shooting and clean up afterward takes about 3 patches sprayed with Ballistol. I still shoot lead, so I will sometimes have to pull out the Lewis Lead Remover.

What ever happened to the Outers Foul Out bore cleaning system?

·
Premium Member
14,903 Posts
Barrels develop a natural conditioning from shooting, not unlike brake drums or discs, stripping them repeatedly will shorten their life significantly. The copper streaks will not hamper the life or performance as it is self limiting. Constantly removing this conditioning will shorten the barrels life.

Using a polishing compound such as BoreBrite or other will also make the bore look great, but do note, the black coming out is barrel metal, I once checked with a magnet to show this.

LOG

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
1 - 20 of 22 Posts