1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe this is an opportunity to turn this into a more forceful pro-gun movement.

I think that this has been brewing for some time now, some big city chiefs notwithstanding.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Thanks for the article. One of the things that could really turn things around in this country is for law enforcement to refuse to enforce unjust laws and stand up and speak out about these things.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Many peace officers do in fact conduct their own private forms of selective enforcement. I know some personally - both active and veteran.

But it is generally a private matter, and under some circumstances they have no choice. But a openly declared intention in great number would indeed have an impact.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the overall theme I got out of that article was not that LEO's were rejecting gun control, but that they were afraid of losing their special status and exemption.. they started to see that if they play along with the 'selective gun rights', they will probably lose their right to concealed carry once they go off duty.. suddenly their opinions changed drastically.. they started to see the gun control bills in the same light that we normal citizens do

·
Registered
490 Posts
This reminds me of a station-house conversation with a idealistic rookie a few years back..

Rookie - "I think only the police should have guns"

Me - "So what happens if someone in a ski mask kicks down your door at 3:am while you're here on patrol."

Rookie - "My wife would shoot him."

Me - "With what?, She's not a police officer."

Rookie - "But I'M a cop, she should be able to defend herself."

Me - "But you said ONLY POLICE SHOULD HAVE GUNS, put your money where your mouth is, take that gun away from your wife."

Rookie - " That's not right, it shouldn't apply to us..."

Me - "So your wife is entitled to self-defense 'cause she's married to a cop, but my mother doesn't, cause she's married to an electrician?"

Rookie - "Well, uh, er, er, uh..."

Me - "You're a @#$%ing Idiot."

Rookie - "uh, er, uh, well...."

I just walked away:rolleyes:

Fortunately, he didn't make it off of field training, and the majority of officers don't share that view.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
JoeFriday said:
the overall theme I got out of that article was not that LEO's were rejecting gun control, but that they were afraid of losing their special status and exemption.. they started to see that if they play along with the 'selective gun rights', they will probably lose their right to concealed carry once they go off duty.. suddenly their opinions changed drastically.. they started to see the gun control bills in the same light that we normal citizens do
Im sure some think that way at the higher levels but that wasnt the overall impression I got from the article. Bringing out armed citizens to help guard key targets after 9/11 and issuing a million concealed pistol licenses were ideas coming from law enforcement leadership having nothing to do with LEO privileges to carry off duty, and those people were set upon by their political overseers when they expressed those ideas. The rank and file of law enforcement have much more tendency to have pro 2nd Amendment views (the number of pro-RKBA cops on this board is evidence of this probably a greater percentage of them than other types of Americans), and this article was focused on the fact that many of their leaders privately hold these same views.

It WAS good news.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've either worked with or for law enforcement all of my adult life and I've never seen where the rank & file of law enforcement ever supported disarming the citizenry (oh sure, you'll get a few just like in anything) as a political movement...Unfortunately they are bound to enforce the laws passed by the governing body of the political subdivision they work for (and when possible they do excercise "selective enforcement" but it's not always possible - and sometimes it's bad "selective enforcement" - there are always [email protected]#holes!)

A lot of the administrators and political entities (Chief's, Superintendents, etc...) are "swayed" by their political masters and don't voice their own opinion (or they share the opinion that they should be banned and are therefore more vehement)

I fully support and have sworn to defend the Constitution as it exists!

Fight the good fight my friends!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Marky Mark,
Thank you for the great story and a job well done. I have to agree with MUS that signature line is a good one.:D

Celtic Warrior,
Thank you for the post and a job well done. The line you said about supporting the constitution says it all.;)

I have many customers that are Law Enforcement Officers, they have the same beliefs as the two gentleman above. I to feel that most rank and file Law Enforcement Officers feel the same as Marky Mark and Celtic Warrior.

Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
490 Posts
Glad to have brightened someone's day:D The Sig line is taken from the punch line of an old military joke about a fearless British Captain who, before engaging an oncoming ship, commands the first mate to "Bring me my red shirt", later, when confronted with 3 approaching man-o-wars, he commands, "Bring me my brown pants"...there are a couple of different "versions" of the joke, depending on whether you are an Army or Navy man...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts