1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I shot 120 rounds of these through this Bauer TR Special and an STI defender. Both were completely reliable though my Gold Cup failed to feed a round from the single magazine I tried. The bullet went through 4" of raw brisket and the full length of a 3 gallon water jug. Same profile/performance with 160 and 185 grain versions. Both from the STI.

Velocities :
160 Grain STI Defender 3.9" Bbl 1047 TR Special 5" Bbl 1090
185 Grain STI Defender 3.9" Bbl 1011 TR SPecial 5" Bbl 1051

The above target is 16 rounds standing isosceles at 25 yards. I got bench groups of 2.6 and 3.5 from the STI at 25 yards. The usual reporters are claiming that these bullets will continue to blossom fired through a leather coat and 6 layers of denim while all others are defeated. I didn't know whether to trust bullets with no lead in them or not but these are impressive so long as the gun is functional with them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There have already been a few documented reports of shooting with the DPX round. One was a police shooting. The 40SW DPX round worked very well. I trust it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I use DPX in all my carry guns because of the excellent test results in gelatin, even after penetrating steel, denim, glass, etc. But...I have found that the ..45 DPX are overly prone to set-back after a single chambering in my 1911s, and the 160s are even more vulnerable. Because of this, I load the chamber of my .45s with a standard JHP that doesn't have this problem, and keep the DPX in the magazine. At approximately $1.50/round for DPX, I hate tossing a round each time I clear for practice, dry fire, clean, etc. The .40 is not problematic, nor is the .38 Spcl (obviously).
JMO,
Ben

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dr. G.K. Roberts thinks it is the best ammo anyone can carry if their piece is reliable with it. Even the .380 DPX performs better than all but @ two of the 9mm rounds available.

Wound channels, both permanent and temporary cavities, in the 9mm, 40S&W, and .45ACP DPX loads are forensically considered to be equal.

I hope that I haven't taken too much liberty with his statements but I have tried to be as accurate as possible as to what I understood by one of his observations in a thread about carrying the best available handgun ammo.

Dave S

P'wr Ball would be my second choice. Except for the .380 Auto. The polymer tip has a dendency to slip and break out to one side of the bullet while going under compression instead of being driven into the bullet to cause rapid, reliable expansion.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I like DPX although Cor-Bon QC is hit or miss. I taoer crimp my carry ammo as DPX is prone to setback. Also, check for oal issues. I just got a box of .38 super DPX that is 1.260"++--too long for some 1911 mags..

·
Registered
534 Posts
NIce test. I do see one thing wrong however. You ruined a brisket!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Nice report. I carry the DPX 160 in my 3" Kimber. I haven't had the setback problem but I rotate my rounds so that I don't rechamber the same round too often.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are overly prone to set-back after a single chambering in my 1911s
Ive seen that with several leadless rounds of one sort or another but haven't loaded and unloaded these enough to see it here

NIce test. I do see one thing wrong however. You ruined a brisket!!
Nope. briskets are expensive. After minorly tenderizing it, I cooked it up and ate it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I carry CorBon DPX in all my SD weapons. My caliber of choice is the .45ACP so I carry CorBon's 185gr +P DPX. I think it's simply the best SD ammo available today! :cool:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I to have Corbon DPX in all my SD 1911's I started with the 160 in my compacts. The tried the 185+P Found it worked good in all my 1911 no matter the size so I changed all over to the 185+P DPX

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just picked up a box of .45 Barnes 185g XPB bullets... unfortunately, it came with reloading data referencing Power Pistol and RamShot Silloette (sp) powders... neither of which I have.

I know CORBON made the DPX rounds that uses these same Barnes XPB bullets. Glad to see they perform well... has anyone tried the Taurus HEX ammo that also uses these same Barnes XPB bullets? I heard that the Taurus (185g offering) is NOT a +p load.

Where's the most economical place to get the 185g +p Corbons?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Barnes XPB bullets are solid copper ok, a touch of zinc I think
I kinda hesitate to go with CorBon's prices.
I have WW 230 gr. SXT JHP and SPeer Gold Dot
for the 1911. I do have some .45 Auto RIm loaded
to 945 FPS with the 225 gr. Barnes XPB HP Bullets
cost about $ 1.20 / round - I don't think the 225 gr.
XPB would work in a 1911 because of O.A.L. but if
they do I'll post it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts