1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I agree with rse2, with just about everything he said. Especially this line: "So what do you do? Depends on: mental preparation, physical ability, distance and a modicum of luck. If you act act aggressively and decisively. Your firearm is probably your last choice of options in this scenario."

rse2's options are also good too. You can go for the disarm even if the pistol is a couple feet away, again depending on how fast you can close the gap, if you have the training and the reps in also.

One other option that wasn't mentioned was feining compliance. It's your life and I see that you have questions about the disadvantage it puts you in when you asked if you, "Should totally submit to your assailant, leaving your safety in his hands". That would be kinda tough for me, or I think anyone to do. Why? He has already proven that your safety and well being aren't very high on his priority list by putting you in this situation in the first place.

There has to be a reason he hadn't shot you already. He want's you alive for the time being, for some reason. Maybe not for long but he had the drop on you and could have easily pulled the trigger but didn't. Could be he wants a robbey where he doesn't want to make it messy and draw attention because of the noise, or maybe it isn't a robbery but could be a kidnapping or rape.

I believe feining <sp?> compliance at this point would buy you some time. He has the scenario in his head already played out. "I stick gun to this guys head he gets scared, and I get what I want" is a good estimation of what's playing out in his head at the moment. If you get him to think he is succeeding and getting further into his loop and suddenly and decisively put a stop to it, it'll destroy his momentum. He may need a little time for him to react to your action or he just may pull the trigger. So first off you gotta move if you're gonna try to pull something.

You have a real scared look in your face and slowly bring the hands up to motion your complying and saying, "Whatever ya want, I don't want any trouble" but in reality it's bringing your hands closer to his gun. Or you can look scared and offer him your wallet in your back pocket and try for the draw while stepping off the line of force, and move and continue to shoot.

Anyways, there are a number of options you have available to you. Disarm, feining compliance, submitting to him, and or going for your tools such as a knife or drawing your pistol. If you do any of these, don't forget your main objective is not to get shot or hurt. So move off the line of force while commiting to an defensive action.

Ross T.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Soujurn:
The best thing you can do is get some training in how to respond and counter this threat.
Thinking about what to do is worthless.
You need to find an instructor in your area that teaches you how to disarm an attacker.
You need to find a school or instructor who teaches tacticle handgun fighting. How to draw and move to cover at the same time and do it damn quick. In the split second the bad guy is taking in your sudden movement, you have time to draw your weapon and shoot him several times. All while moving out of the direct line of fire. I've been trained to do just that. And, every time you move through possibly hostile terrain, you should be looking for ambush sites. Looking for where to take cover in an instant.
Agree on your comments about finding an instructor and getting some training. But I don't think thinking about it is worthless. Visualization is a very good tool to use when thinking of tactics. Also visualization of you being behind the curve is good too. Because you're not alway going to ready or prepared and could easily be taken by surprised. Thinking about different situations helps you see options and different approaches that can be used.

Originally posted by ROSANGHAL:Anyways, there are a number of options you have available to you. Disarm, feining compliance, submitting to him, and or going for your tools such as a knife or drawing your pistol. If you do any of these, don't forget your main objective is not to get shot or hurt. So move off the line of force while commiting to an defensive action.
I'd also like to go on further with what I wrote in the post above. I said the main objective is not to get shot or hurt. But don't fall into the mindset that if you're shot you are out of the picture. Continue the fight to escape further harm.

I have heard some ER doctors, that worked in high crime areas, say what gunshot wounds they have treated and that the victims and sometimes not victims, but people deserving the bullets in them, do fine.

You'll see police reports where bad guys are shot multiple times and still continue on or continue to run.

I'm not saying if you get shot you will do fine. What I am saying is be sure to say to yourself that, "If I get shot I still gotta keep on doing what I'm doing." Weither it's going for a weapon, fighting or fleeing.

Ross T.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.