1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I'm sure there's a large range depending on a variety of factors but I was just curious of a ballpark figure.

I'm good with my hands and enjoy working on cars/motorcycles, but I've never done any "gunsmithing" and all the accounts of people messing up their finish has me a little worried since I'm due to receive my FN Hi Power this evening and I'd hate to scratch it up right away.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had a crazy idea, I think the pin will come out much easier if you have someone with a small screwdriver depress the trigger spring so it doesnt lie in the cut on the pin, if that can be pushed down a bit while you tap the pin it should come out easier with less chance of marking up your frame.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The first one I tried would do it. I hand wrote the request to Don Williams at The Action Works and my mag safety went buh-bye.

Don does top-notch work too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is another option...have a pistolsmith do a trigger job and lighten the pull without removing the dreaded disconnect. I have a real aversion to removing factory saftey devices - I know, I know...but it's my gun and I want the safties intact. Jim Garthwaite will do a nice job of smoothing up the trigger and doing a little tightening at the same time. I highly recommmend him.
If removing the disconnect doesn't bother you...then by all means remove it. My hang ups don't have to be yours.:cool:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My local gunsmith did this for me, plus the work on trigger stop and lightening the trigger pull, for a total of $50.00 plus tax. The trigger pull is about 5 lbs (his word) and it's so crisp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this. If you remove the guard and heaven forbid there is an AD and you are hurt chances are you are not going to sue yourself for removing the guard. But if you're at the range cleaning your gun and you have removed the guard, it discharges and you injure the guy next to you, you are going to get sued. A jury most probably is going to find against you especially if you removed the guard. There is no way you can defend your self b/c generally when you alter a safety device you alone are totally liable with no defenses. Also, if you ever sell that gun to someone you have to let them know about the guard. Also, I don't know if a gun shop would even consider a trade in for that type of gun given its safety altering. Their insurance might not let them.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Lord, not again.........

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS DEGENERATE INTO THE POSSIBLE LEGAL AFTERMATH THING THAT WE ALWAYS SEEM TO GET INTO WHEN SOMEONE ASKS ABOUT REMOVING THE MAGAZINE DISCONNECT.

Below is an article I did on this topic on another site as well as two searches done here using "magazine disconnect" and "magazine safety" and finally, "magazine safety, legal":

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MagazineSafety.htm

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=935810

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=935823

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=935839

Most of the time, the cost for removing the magazine disconnect is nominal as it is not difficult to do with the right tools to move the usually very tight pins.

Best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the disclaimer, Mr. Camp, and I hope people heed it. I certainly didn't want this to turn into that kind of discussion... just curious about the cost.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Best way to deter this situation is to buy the C&S wide trigger that has no provision for a mag disconnect, then when inspected by the authorities after you shoot some bastard trying to kill your wife and rape your dog they will see that there is no mag disconnect or any provisions on your pistol for one. Seems you will walk away with at least half your paycheck for the rest of your life now.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I went through the same thing when my HP first arrived. Out of the box the trigger was horrible! I took the MDS out and found that it made the trigger reset unacceptably weak.

After a few thousand rounds and a little hand-polishing of the internal parts, the triger pull is in the acceptable-but-still-a-little-heavy range. There is no more creep, though. You may want to go that route before removing parts.

·
Registered
832 Posts
When you find the trigger reset to be too light, after removing the mag disconnector, replace the trigger spring with one from Wolff made for the pre-MKIII models. All will be well. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts