1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about reloading for my .45 and was
wondering what's the cost & the time it takes to
reload 1000 rounds using high quality components.

Also is there any particular bullet and powder that most people use? Or is that mostly personal preference.

·
Registered
697 Posts
sned45,

your questions are akin to asking how much a car costs and what particular tires and gas most people use.

Some of the variables are:

what kind of press are you thinking about? time is dependent on equipment.

are you going to get components locally or by mail-order?

are you loading lead or jacketed? what weights?

are you going to buy powder by the pound or by the keg?

are you including the price of the press in the cost or are you just looking at the cost of the components?

what type of shooting do you have in mind?

You need to give us a little more info or you will get a very wide range of cost estimates.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a LEE progressive press that I use when I reload my hunting rifle rounds.

Basically just looking for the price of components.
230 FMJ ball
good powder by the pound, don't have the space to store lots of powder.
This ammo will be for target shooting only.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Here is my answer using 1 shot brass, Winchester Large Pistol Primers, E&E cast 200 Gn SWC Bullets and WW231 Ball Powder.

5 cents for the brass from River Valley Ordinance www.rvow.com

1.5 cents for the primer

1 cent for the powder (estimate) 5.8 gns.

4 cents for the bullet

Total per round = 11.5 cents

Now, you can reload the brass 10 times on average and if you amoritize the cost over 10 reloadings, the cost drops to 1/2 cents for the brass. The total cost drops to 7 cents per round.

Buy your bulk powder in 8 lb. kegs and your primers and bullets by the thousand from Powder Valley. Combine all the components so you only pay the hazardous Material (HAZMAT) charge once.

As far as time goes; if you use a quality progressive reloader like the Dillon 550B, you should be able to REASONABLY load 1,000 rounds in 3.5 man hours. This would include reloading the primer tubes etc. and using a carbide sizing die so as not to have to lube and clean the finished cases.

Some would argue that you could do it faster, but I said in a REASONABLE amount of time. You'll want to take a few breathers.

Hope this helps.

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
TAckerman:
Very good post. I would add that I buy all of my components at guns shows. This saves HazMat on the powder and primers and shipping charges on those heavy bullets and the powder and primers. I get cast 230 gr RN for $35 per thou, primers for $12 per thou and 231 powder 8 lb keg for $75.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Banned
217 Posts
Starting with new brass from Starline and assuming it will last 20 cycles. Buying bullets online from Oregon Trail. Primers and powder from my local WhateverMart: ~$90 per thousand. Substitute range brass, bulk powder purchase from Arms&Ammo, and bullets from a local caster: ~65/1000.

It would take me about 31/2 hours to produce 1000rnds with my SDB. I usually never do more than 300rnds at a 1 hour sitting as I get bored.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Banned
217 Posts
Here are my favorite vendors:
http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/ - are the cheapest source of good quality jacketed fodder. Their prices include shipping.
http://www.laser-cast.com/ - my personal favorite hard-cast bullet. Their prices include shipping.
http://www.armsandammo.com/ - the best place to bulk order powder.
http://www.starlinebrass.com/ - the source for brass. Their prices include shipping.

My personal choices for powder are Accurate Arms #5 and Hodgdon Clays (not Universal or International). I don't like flash, otherwise I would use Alliant's Power Pistol.

I personally like lighter bullets, so I order 180gr cast and 185gr Jacketed.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
10 Posts
BillD

When and where was the last time you bought 8lbs. of 231 for $75? Dealer price for a case (4 8lb. kegs) breaks down to more than that per keg. I need to buy powder where you do. $12/1000 primers is pretty cheap too. Somebody's giving you a hell of a deal, or you haven't bought powder and primers in the past 15 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts