1911Forum banner

Could the front sight move all by itself..?

770 5
Went back to the range with 100 WWB from Wal-Mart and 50 Remington UMC.

Tended to shoot left. Put that down to yanking the trigger, but even good shots went left. Close look at the front sight made me think it's a little offset to the right (when seen from the rear).
Anyone else seen something like that?
I don't think I have bumped it during cleaning or anything...

About feed reliability: 100% with the WWB. At the end of the Rem batch, I had issues feeding the first round from a full magazine. Nor sure if the fouling affects it, or if the heat is playing a part. (Shot quickly just to make it misfeed)

When cleaning the barrel, I can feel a little burr/edge at the bottom of the barrel feed/entry ramp. Only ever so small. The frame feed ramp is completely smooth.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
7,478 Posts
If the sight is in a dovetail it could have moved, or the dovetailed rear sight may have moved as well.

Shooting left is pushing the trigger and anticipating recoil. If your first shot of the day is a 10X it ain't the pistol. My bullet holes drift left as I tire.

-- Chuck

· Registered
131 Posts
Mine was the same way, S&W told me it was do to the way there are installed. Something about having the jig not touching the slide during install.
My rear adjustable sight was also off set and when i sent the gun back to S&W the aligned them.

· Registered
2,178 Posts
I seriously doubt it moved while cleaning it. I replaced the factory sights on my 1911SC and just about broke my sight pusher trying to remove the front sight.

· Registered
77 Posts
Saw a sight almost fall off a Kimber this morning.

During an IPSC Match today this guy was shooting a Springfield .45 and along with all of his six or seven technical difficulties with his reloads (two of which were squibs...uh, yeah), one thing that happened that alot of us thought was odd was that his front sight had slid to the left and almost came off of the slide. I guess if not properly installed they can move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.