1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put $60 down to hold a new 1911-A1 loaded Springfield today. Layaway plan which gives me 30 days to pay the balance ($574). New gun. See picture here.

Any recommendations on grips to go with the parkerized finish. I'll have to change that because I don't care of the roughness of the checkered factory grips.

I've been lurking around here for some time gaining all of the info to help with the purchase. Thanks to all for the help.

These boards are just wonderful. I spent a great amount of time on one before buying my truck and that worked out so well that I followed suit on a 45.

Hunt4Fun

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might want to see if you can "sand" the grips slightly to take some of the bite out of them. I'm not a woodworker but I'm sure someone on the board knows how to do it.

If sanding doesn't work, you were already planning to buy new grips anyway.

These boards are great. I've lurked and learned a lot too. It sure beats guessing and tossing money across the counter or worse yet trying to decide what to get by reading gunrags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree. The information here is 100% better than the gun rags and it's free! Personal experience is always my preference over a formal review. Good idea on the sanding. I'll do a search.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm no woodworker either, but I think sanding those grips would not be the answer. I think you'd probably be better off pounding the points down, using, for example, a lightweight ball peen hammer ... verry, very light taps until you see how it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts