1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading some of the threads on this Forum and have realized that many of you like me live in the middle of nowhere. I don't believe that rural security has been a subject of a thread. I believe that we who live in remote locations have unique considerations. Maybe us Country Folks can learn from each other.

I would be lucky if the Sherriff would arrive in 15+ mins in best case senerio (And i know some of you Cowboys have a much longer wait). The roads to my house are not well marked they are canopied with trees and as dark as can be. I have a public river / lake in my backyard and no neighbors to in sight. My driveway is gravel and about an eighth of a mile long. We have Meth labs in the county.

I am hoping that those of you who live in remote areas will chime in with your consideration and techniques you use to stay safe.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Motion detectors in the yard that turn on a bedroom light if tripped.

Fence with a tension wire right above the top rail that lights a light in your bedroom if touched.

Camera system that is motion activated. At least one terabyte of storage.

Loaded weapons, for short range (pistol and shotgun), and long range (rifle with low light scope chambered in .308).

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motion detectors in the yard that turn on a bedroom light if .
where do you get these? Do you have a specific recommendation?

Also agree with your weapons...no need to worry about over penetration where I am. As a matter of fact, in the case of a Home Invasion, with the way my house is set up it is likely the fight will spill out into the driveway (if I am winning), if they shoot at me from their car...M14 is handy. Also makes lots of unusal noise. Where I alive it is not unusual to hear shotguns and .22's being shot at night. We have unwanted critters everywhere. Nobody notices those shots...I want to get all the attention I can.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Motion detectors in the yard that turn on a bedroom light if tripped.
I might say putting up flood lights that point out from the house AND in TOWARDS the house (but not necessarily directly into the windows) would be a good idea. That way the entire area is lit and there is nowhere to hide should it validly be an intruder.

I'm not sure about the turning the bedroom light on. Don't get me wrong, I understand the concept / reasoning behind the perspective. In my limited rural experiences tend to lean towards the notion that nocturnal roaming critters could very easily have you awake all night if that kept happening (bedroom light turning on). Maybe a hallway light or living room and kitchen lights on a slight delay timer (15 seconds?) to not just alert the resident but give the distinctive appearance someone is in fact awake.

Camera system that is motion activated. At least one terabyte of storage.
I concur this sort of security is a good investment too - not just at any main or obvious points of entry but at the driveway / entry to the road to your home, even 8 miles out. Point-in-fact ESPECIALLY of that point at a distance away. It would be good to have a night-vision capable camera watching the roadway and set up on a motion-detecting record mode. I believe nowadays you can even have systems that will send an alert to your phone when / if a particular camera is activated during a certain window of time. That would be an added level of protection (if you have reliable cellular service). Having that 8 miles of notification can make the difference between being startled awake with someone(s) at your door or windows, or being awake and fully conscious and more so prepared even if they stop a 1/2 mile out and walk in the rest of the way with intent.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Barb wire plus electric stock fence around the property so the only easy way in is up the driveway, my motion censor is pointed at the drive and garage. Three basically worthless dogs at least till hunting season rolls around and a no trespassing sign at the end of the driveway. I plink sometimes through out the day so I'm usually armed 95% of the day. usually a 22 rifle or pistol cal. carbine just inside the door. I also have a shallow lake on two sides of me but amphibious assault isn't likely.

·
Registered
779 Posts
where do you get these? Do you have a specific recommendation?

Also agree with your weapons...no need to worry about over penetration where I am. As a matter of fact, in the case of a Home Invasion, with the way my house is set up it is likely the fight will spill out into the driveway (if I am winning), if they shoot at me from their car...M14 is handy. Also makes lots of unusal noise. Where I alive it is not unusual to hear shotguns and .22's being shot at night. We have unwanted critters everywhere. Nobody notices those shots...I want to get all the attention I can.
I simply have one of those motion flood lights. One light is not a light, but a camera that looks like a light. Built by me, it's part of what I do for a living. On motion, the camera comes on but looks like a light that is burned out. I tapped into the wires from the motion detector, they have two wires running to a relay in my bedroom. When the relay is activated, it lets 120VAC go to a lamp. The camera is running to a DVR with sixteen inputs and fed to my computer. The light wakes me up and I look at my computer. Mostly it is a cat jumping on my truck. I don't care about cats on the truck, I just go back to sleep. I have the sensitivity set high enough, that most times animals moving around don't trip it.

You can get all the stuff to build it from electronic supply stores and Home Depot.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wife and I live on and old dairy farm, turned into horse ranch...Have eight neighbors who's houses I can see 3-4 months of the year. Neighbors are all good folks, discrete, but we watch out for each other all the time. This is probably the most effective aspect of our security preparations, but certainly not the only one. Dogs, some geese next door let me know everything that goes on. Alarms tied into SO, fast response time...but ultimately, the responsibility for our safety rests with me and my wife. Situational awareness is always key! We have too many critters running around for motion detectors to help, but video is always on. We live in the country, but only 45 minutes from the People's Republic of Chicago, started getting some gang tagging on our scenery two years ago, seem to be just passing thru for now. Meth labs are a big problem in the county, as is Heroin. Wife works with some of our more troubled societal members daily, I worry about her at work much more than at home. Still, we are both very grateful to live in this place, wouldn't trade it for anything!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
All of the above and a big "Yellow Black Mouth Curr Dog" that will eat them. She's really good, great with kids, but anything that comes in the yard that she doesn't think belongs there is bitten before she barks! Just ask my natural gas meter reader. She looks like "Ol' Yeller" for those of us that are over 55 should remember that movie.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Geese are good alarm systems.

Guinea hens are awesome alarm systems. Nothing sneaks up on them at night. They make a ton of noise. My Uncle used to keep a few just for that reason.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Since I have a long .mil background, I tend to think in such terms. The concept that applies to static site security is defense in depth.

My property is more semi rural, i have acreage, but the house is on a paved road that sees a moderate amount of traffic.

First , along the road is a hedgerow, about 3' high, of dense, thorny shrubs. Similar hedges under all the first floor windows and along the driveway. They also channel people from the driveway- to the front door; theres a small entry into the front yard, but its not obvious.

The driveway has a PIR that activates a buzzer in the house when a vehicle pulls in. Floodlights, both motion activated and solar activated, on at dusk. Cameras on the porch and at a couple other exterior points.

Storm/security film on all windows. Heavy, metal exterior doors with metal jambs and deadbolts.

Alarms, both electronic and canine. The dogs are loud and anti social around strangers...

The center section of the house has heavy, slideing doors that isolate the bedrooms and staircase to the second floor from both the kitchen/living room on one end and foyer, parlor, and den on the other.

The house is 100+ years old, the modern sheet rock is covering 1x6 pine plank walls over true dimension 2x6 oak frameing 14" on center. An odd "feature" of the house is that the ceilings were lowered at some point from 12 to 9 feet, you can move throughout the entire house in the crawlspace between floors. There's access at several places in the home.

Think creatively and think about security in layers. There's no universal, one size fits all solution.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my limited rural experiences tend to lean towards the notion that nocturnal roaming critters could very easily have you awake all night if that kept happening (bedroom light turning on). Maybe a hallway light or living room and kitchen lights on a slight delay timer (15 seconds?) to not just alert the resident but give the distinctive appearance someone is in fact awake
I hear you motion detectors on my front porch already drive me crazy with the critters we got. I have 130+ pound deer on my porch eating my wife's plants at least once a month. Have you ever heard a deer walking on a wooden front porch in the middle of the night?...scary, but distinctive, so it doesn't take long to know the source. My dogs scare them off, but motion detectors have drawbacks and currently I have decided they set off too many false alarms. I have set the sensitivity to low and still the 25# raccoons set them off. I like the idea of an interior light going off, because I have an upstairs bedroom that is normally is not used and can be seen everywhere in my homes approach. It would not bother me if it stayed on all night if I was attacked by raccoons and deer.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Did you know that the average size person will fall right down in a 14 in. post hole if you cut the arms off? Happen to have a 14 inch auger on my post hole digger. Hypothetical of course.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good alarm system

Get a big dog for the pouch and a pint sized pooch for the house. Best alarm system money can buy. Ginnies and geese will alert to everything as well, but tend to attract coyotes.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
I neglected to mention fences.... in my case, the land is fenced with high tension, 5 strand, electric fences. The back yard and outbuildings are contained by 3 rail, 2x6 fence, with 2x4 field wire between the posts and rails-mainly to keep the dogs in. There's an electrified strand of barb wire topping it, as well as a normal electric wire 8" off the ground- again to keep the dogs and pig from getting out. Gates are chained and locked, and the fence runs from the front side of the house, parallel to the road, then around the yard. The only street access to the house is along the one side, and its protected utilizeing the other methods mentioned.

The property doesn't look fortified or psycho ******* crazy prepper "secure"; the obstacles to unwanted visitors are subtle, but effective.

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
I could and maybe should do some more things.

But motion detectors are out. Been there and done that. No matter how I set the sensitivity, they go off all night long. I have six miles of thick forest behind me before you get to the next road and that is only a gravel one. We see everything from Flying squirrels to 400LB black bear roaming through here at night. If I ever hear anyone coming in here at night. I will know right away that they are up to no good. We are the last house at the end of a long private road. and if they are just a motorist that needs help They will pass other houses before they get to mine.

As for the detector triggering a light in my bed room. I definitely would not want that. As why ruin your night vision right away? And then they can see where you are through a window and you can not see out into the dark. I might have it go off in another room maybe, but not mine. I do have spot lights pointed out away from the house that I can turn on manually to blind people and allow me to see what is out there. Which brings up something else. Anybody that comes out to my house is going to either need some decent moonlight or artificial light to even be able to see where my house is. Either way I can see them without them seeing me. If they have night sights then these guys are not Crack Willie or Meth Melvin and then I am likely in trouble.

Now if they do get to where they are going to try to enter the house. They can do this without too much trouble. However the bedroom is a different nut to crack. The bedroom it is an 1840s era log cabin made of roughly 8"X10" Chestnut logs chinked with Concrete. Originally they would have been chinked with Horsehair and mud. But sometimes you just need to upgrade. Anyway the logs are like rock hard so the bedroom is pretty much bullet proof. There are windows. But they are not ordinary widows. Same with the exterior door that the bedroom also has. They can presumably still get in at some point.

But this will not go easy for them. My wife has her Ed Brown Special forces and a Berretta CX4 carbine on her side of the bed. I have my Colt government model, my Noveske Rogue Hunter, Mossberg 930, and a scoped Sako bolt gun just for good measure.

Are we impregnable, certainly not. But I think that by virtue of our location. We are not a likely target. Periodically I will have people come to visit. They will tell me. "Ok, I have you on MapQuest." Nine times out of ten I have to go find them anyway. We sleep pretty well at night.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Guineas and Pyrenees.
Only one way in or out by vehicle.
Approach on foot, Guineas and Pyrenees again.
And one PITA golden retriever who thinks she should guard the house against unwanted scraps accumulating.
Plus, neighbors aren't on top of us, but close enough if they hear too much commotion from animals or more than one shot they come to inspect.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts