1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a couple of old revolvers here. She inherited them from her Dad.

She was wondering what they are worth.

One is a S&W J Frame .38 special, Model 36, snub nose Chief Special.

The other is a Rossi Model 68 .38 special

She thinks both these guns were bought new in the late 60's to early 70's.

Both guns are in almost new condition, the S&W has rubber grips, the Rossi has original wood grips. Could not get a set of decent pics with the phone cam, but will try later.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ableammo.com can give you an idea on what they run new. S&W website may have a serial number lookup.

I don't think either of those are super rare collectables so they'll be worth less than their new counterparts.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Take a look at Gunbroker and do a search on those guns that have sold. That will give you a ballpark figure on what they're worth.
You could also go here: http://smith-wessonforum.com/ for the S&W. Those guys live and breathe S&W's and could probably help.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the Model 36 is a pinned barrel and in new condition, it will be worth at least as much as it's new counterpart's street price, more to some people. If you have the box and the original grips, so much the better.

The Rossi, while a good serviceable gun, will never be worth as much as a Smith.

Since both are family heirlooms, they are worth more to you than anyone else.

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
What they're worth depends on if you want to keep them or not. I wouldn't part with a pinned S&W at all, ever!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
I'd get some diamond grips for the Smith & keep it forever. Nice gun. I have two of them, both nearly un-fired.

The Rossi is just "meh"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts