1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
and that ladies and gentlemen is why back up guns are a good idea

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
The story is so sketchy and confusing that's it hard to make much out of it. It's not even clear the victim had his gun on him. It could have been inside the room.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Beat me to it...

Still, the guy I'm assuming is a cop by his icon in the comments makes one a good point about not trying to draw when you've already been drawn on.
that is true. In Col. Cooper's Principals of Personal Defense he says to run through hypothetical scenarios in your mind and that is one where i cant figure it out i just get shot trying to draw ( sad... i get shot in my own vivid imagination)

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
According to the article, the CPL holder was at a motel and went outside his room to grab a smoke. As he was walking down the stairs he was confronted by two BG's who pepper sprayed him, took his gun, two mags, wallet and cell phone. Sounds like the BG's were setting a trap and waiting for someone to attack.

If you can believe the article, this scenario makes you think the BG's were able to totally pull off "the element of surprise" on the victim. They were on the stairs or in a stairwell when they caught the victim and did the deed.

Which makes me wonder...just how do you defend against this type of situation when the BG's surprise you and have the drop on you?

In the SD classes that I attended, we were taught various distraction techniques to cause the BG to drop his guard or "look away" just for a second, during which time you could defend yourself. Of course, every scenario is different with a thousand variables to consider.

The good news here is that the victim wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
752 Posts
One of the comments that was posted:

This is why the whole conceled gun law is a sham. Now we have another stolen gun on the market thanks to the actions of a so called "responsible gun owner."

When that gun shows up at some crime scene later after being used to kill someone is this so called "responsible gun owner" going to take responsibility? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I am am really glad we got these guns out of the parks. Now if we can just get them out of any public places then things like this wont happen and criminals won't have guns to steal.
Do they really believe this stuff? Are they really THAT naive??? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
One of the comments that was posted:

Do they really believe this stuff? Are they really THAT naive??? :biglaugh:
I have about decided there are two kinds of liberals. 1. The ones that actually believe such drivel. In their case, they are dumber than a box of rocks & all you can do is feel sorry for them. 2. The second kind actually does know better, but they have a personal agenda which is served by acting like a liberal. These are the evil ones & need to be politically stamped out & should never be allowed anywhere near a position of leadership.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...Which makes me wonder...just how do you defend against this type of situation when the BG's surprise you and have the drop on you? ...
When you're carrying, its that much more important that you maintain situational awareness. Otherwise, you're just another statistic the liberals will get to misuse.

There is no way to anticipate every situation. But, if you let your guard down, Murphy's law says its a sure bet that THAT is when you're gonna get surprised.

Just assuming that your concealed carry is gonna make you invincible is a sure way to find yourself out smarted and out gunned by the bad guys.

Just from the sound of this story, and, becuase I happen to have had the displeasure of having to visit that neighborhood in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this guy had flashed his piece at someone earlier, and thats what led to the trap being set in the first place.

·
Registered
515 Posts
and that ladies and gentlemen is why back up guns are a good idea
I always carry a knife as well as my 1 firearm, if your blinded by pepperspray you wont be able to aim, with a knife you can slash a round until something slams home :)

Also good to have a knife anyway, you never know when you might need it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

Unfortunately there are no perfect/no-fail tactics for every situation. Sometimes the bad guys win. Living in a "civilized" society means constantly putting oneself at risk. The guy who walks up to you and asks for directions, is he lost or setting you up to get clobbered? You can't pull a gun on everyone. That's life. We do the best we can. Good luck to us all.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

Unfortunately there are no perfect/no-fail tactics for every situation. Sometimes the bad guys win. Living in a "civilized" society means constantly putting oneself at risk. The guy who walks up to you and asks for directions, is he lost or setting you up to get clobbered? You can't pull a gun on everyone. That's life. We do the best we can. Good luck to us all.

+1 .. It's the sad fact of life..

·
Registered
705 Posts
Carrying a gun is not a guarantee you will win, it just improves your odds. The school I went to, you roll a grenade down the steps before you go down to prevent this sort of nonsense. Different place, different time. Nothing like "civilisation."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts