1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been browsing the threads and have seen what's suppoesed to be the ammo of choice for the CQB, but it seems that somethimes even what's not good for one is great for another.

My question is, has anyone used any Ranger Talon (RA45T 230HP, RA45TP 230HP+P) with sucess in their CQB's?

Also, what about the Pow'R'Ball and the Taurus Copper Hex? I may be a little old fashioned but I already have light and fast (Glock 32 and 33 - .357SIG) and prefer the slow and heavy in the .45ACP (230gr only).

Just curious as I'm about to order some Rangers in bulk in the .357SIG and want to pick up some in .45 as well, but not if it causing overwhelming FTF/FTE in the CQB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
I use RA45T's in all my pistols. They feed wonderfully in my Wilson Classic (no CQB) as well as Kimbers, Colts, and a Brown. I'm halfway thru my second case without a malfunction.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ranger is my duty ammo in a CQB. I have never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Scunyon,

I would recommend that you try running some different types of ammo that interest you to see how it runs.

Definitely agree that it makes no sense buying in bulk if it won't run reliably.

I have a Wilson Protector which has been smithed, and so far it has run the following without any ammo related problems (crossing my fingers):

Federal 230 Gr. Hydrashoks
Winchester 185 Gr. Silvertips
Federal 230 Gr. American Eagle FMJ
CorBon 165 Gr. +P JHP (Sierra style)
CorBon 185 Gr. +P JHP (Sierra style)
CorBon 165 Gr. +P Pow'rball

I will say this: the CorBon offerings in +P may be fast (1150 FPS in 185 Gr./ 1225-1250 FPS in 165 Gr.) with low muzzle flash, but they are heavy in the recoil department (very snappy). It was very noticeable when compared to the 230 Gr. Hydrashok load, but still controllable.

By the way, Pow'rball only comes in 165 Gr. +P for 45 ACP. So if you are only interested in 230 Gr. loads, you're out of luck with Pow'rball.;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I carry PowRball in my CQB - I'm very impressed with the way it handles - yes it very snappy but I think PowRball is the way of the future in performance.

Before carrying PowRball I carried RA45T w/no probs in a CQB but had problems in a SA TRP Operator.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In a 230gr, standard velocity round, Black Hills, ProLoad, and Speer Gold Dot are hard to beat. All use the Gold Dot bullet which expands reliably even at the standard velocities/pressures. The Black Hills ammo uses traditional brass casings and is available in 50 round boxes (red box = new, blue box = reloaded) for $23 - $26. I believe the ProLoad and Speer Gold Dot use nickel plated casings and come in 20 round boxes (and cost a little more). All these seem to work fine in my Kimber and my CQB.

All three of these manufacturers make +P loadings as well in 230gr and lighter bullet configurations.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My KZ

Does just fine with the 185 gr. SilverTips and 230 gr. +P Ranger (it's my duty load in another gun, so I bought a case). I have some of the older CorBon 200gr. +P, and while it's just fine in my S&W 625 revolver, it is really unpleasant in the KZ.

M

·
0 Posts
My CQB has gobbled up everything I've put through it.

Corbon 230 grain hp +p
Winchester white box Wal-Wart value packs 230 grain FMJ
Federal HydraShock 230 grain hp
Speer Gold Dot 230 grain hp
Remmington Golden Saber 230 grain hp
Sellier & Belliot 230 grain FMJ
UMC 230 grain FMJ
Georgia Arms Remanufactured 230 grain FMJ
PMC 230 grain FMJ
Eldorado Starfire 230 grain hp
Winchester Ranger 230 grain hp

There are more but that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Ranger +P runs thru my KZ and other .45's with no problem at all.

Power Ball is unproven on the Street..........

M

·
0 Posts
I have not tried Powerball yet!

Do they make it in 230 grain?

Nevermind, answered my own question by going to Corbon's website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts