1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the owner of a vintage '97 model year Protector, I was wondering about the lead-in sentance in an article about CQB's in the October issue of "Handguns" magazine:

"'I think you'll find the quality improved over our previous pistols.' Bill Wilson predicted, at the conclusion of our conversation arranging for two of his Close Quarter Battle (CQB) pistols to be sent for evaluation."

What the hell is up with that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Uhhh... I believe what Bill was trying to say is that its a better pistol than the older model CQB pistols. If you read the whole article, the author jokingly stated in the end that he could not find one thing that was improved. Meaning - the older line of Wilson Combat pistols were already top-of-the-line as far as quality and workmanship were concerned and Wilson Combat has stuck through their reputation and still produce very fine products.

------------------
"ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE..."

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
tetley,

This does sound rather strange; however, since all of the previous pistols have been exceptional performers in their own right, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Perhaps this is at least partially a reference to the fact that Wilson has been working hard to address concerns over things like the durability of their Armor-Tuff finish. I've heard (but not yet seen) that the newest examples are much more resilient in this respect. Or, perhaps he's making reference to something like improved MIM components in those guns that come so equipped? Better fitting? More highly developed internals?

I don't yet know what may account for these differences, but if Wilson wants to make a great gun even better, it's certainly fine by me. I'm always saving up for my next one anyway ...

Chuck

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Something else he may have 'offhandedly' meant was they, unlike other companies have kept tje quality moving forward instead off backwards.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
It is like being "new and improved" when the product has not actually changed.

I own both guns and for the most part, the article parallels my experience with the guns. I noticed the issue of "armor tuff" was not really mentioned too much, however.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My CQB is on its way back from Wilsons for reliability repairs.
My CQB was made in December 2000. I was very curious about Mr. Wilson's statement in this article, given my bad experience.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I have a Compact CQB on order, I wish they would have displayed a target or two like they do in every other evaluation on guns.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts