1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wilson CQB Compact vs. Ed Brown Cobra Carry

I'm pretty sure this is one of those "you can't go wrong with either..." discussions, but any thoughts on specific advantages or disadvantages to either of these great guns? The are both right around $2k, and seem very similar in many respects. If any of you chose one over the other, I'd love to hear your reasons.

Thanks!
Robert

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
R1911:
Agreed...although there are differences between the two, either one would be a fine choice for concealed carry.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have a CQB-C. I like it a lot. It has an Officers Model grip frame (shorter than a Gov't. model/Commander grip frame), which means that it is easier to hide. It also has a 4" bull barrel w/no bushing, which helps tame recoil. My CQB-C is amazingly accurate and easy to pack around in a CompTac IWB holster.

The EB Kobra Carry is really a Commander that has a rounded mainspring housing that somewhat alleviates the bottom of the pistol's butt from sticking out and "printing". (A proper holster does the same thing.) It also has a 4.25" bbl. with a bushing and plug like a Gov't. model. If you can hide a Commander, you can hide a Government Model, IMHO.

I admit to having lusted after a stainless EB K-C, but my CQB-C does everything it does in an even smaller package. Lightly-used (if at all) but heavily-breathed on CQB Compact safe queens can be had for $1200-1400 LNIB. (Check in the "For Sale" section of AR-15.com and TheHighRoad.com) Used EB Kobra Carrys can be had for 1400-1600.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dubb-1 said:
The guns are quite different. Which one has the features/set up that you like the best?

Damian
The only information I have on them is what's on their websites, or what I've read on the boards. Honestly, their websites aren't very good (the Wilson site looks good, but does not use photos of the guns described, and the Brown site doesn't have much information, and is poorly laid out... guess I'm picky, I make my living in the Internet industry). Stores around me either don't carry these guns, and/or the people who work their can't tell me anything useful about them. Mostly they keep muttering "they're both good guns... can't go wrong with either one..."

I'm looking for a top quality compact 1911. Other than the barrel length and the bobtail, I don't see many differences. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
20,366 Posts
OK, I'll say it...

The Kobra feels better. I've got both brands, and do believe the Brown carries more attention to detail. I prefer the commander-size barrel over the 4" bull, and there is no comparison in the grip ergonomics. The officer-sized Wilson is a nice concealable configuration, but nothing is like the feel of a full-size bobtail. It hides just as well, and "welcomes" your hand when drawing. The snakeskin is a nice touch also.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I like the feel of 30-lpi checkering and snakeskin. The shorter grip of the CQB-Compact feels better to me than the Bob-tail, others "feel" differently.

Yep, it's a purely subjective call. The only one who can make the call for you is, well... You.

·
Registered
71 Posts
!

I don't know if Wilson has a tac elite compact, but I've never felt a better pistol for my hand than a tac elite. KWB could probably bobtail the full size tac elite. Then you would be set.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: !

kash said:
I don't know if Wilson has a tac elite compact, but I've never felt a better pistol for my hand than a tac elite.
Yeah, its called the Stealth. :) Same barrel style (cone with blast wafer). Think Tactical Elite in a Officers size frame.

Also, like the Tactical Elite, it's not IDPA legal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts