1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer the classic look of the CQB Compact over the X-Tac.

But looks aside is there any reason to buy the X-Tac?

Is it a better gun over the CBQ Compact, internally different somehow?

The X-Tac appears to weigh slightly less than the CQB.

Can anyone give some insight into this comparison?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I don't own an X-Tac so I cannot give you any first hand opinions but I have read many posts on the forum from guys who really like the feel of the X pattern on the front strap. They report that it's less agressive than checkering and just feels "right" to them. Internally these guns should be identical. All recent builds (within the last year or so) are now coming standard with 100% bullet proof parts.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Another one of those cases where we're almost being given a few too many choices to consider.

The CBQ Compact is really the baseline standard gun between the two. The X-Tac Compact is/was more just offered for the guys who happen to like the feature set of the X-series, but would still like to pick them up in a smaller form factor. There are some subtle price/feature differences between the two, but those don't factor in very much when you consider that you can (and likely will) make a few changes when ordering, anyway. It probably comes down to looks and the grip treatment.

Unless you already have an affinity for the X-Tac package treatment for whatever reason, I'd just stick with the CQB Compact -- or a variation of it that otherwise meets your needs, like perhaps the Bill Wilson Carry.

AC

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have a CBQ & an XTAC. I find the XTAC machining easier to grip when I rack the slide. Both are great looking guns and wonderful shooters.

·
Banned
612 Posts
The X-Tac offers an amazing grip texture without being a snag to clothing. However, I believe the 30 LPI checkering offers a more secure grip & looks a whole lot better!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The CQB compact is 2 ounces heavier than the X-Tac compact

The Xtac compact is parkerized as standard and Armor-Tuff is a $100 upgrade, where as Armor-Tuff is standard on the CQB.

The CQB is more traditional looking while the X-Tac is more unique. The X-Tac's grip was designed to give better grip when needed i.e. "tactical" situations. Do your palms get sweaty easily? Or do you use a glove? A lot of variables that will determine the "practical" need of the X pattern but what matters most is what your heart wants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts